It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Service based alerts

While it is possible to associate an incident with a service, is it possible to have alerts have associated with a service? Associating alerts to just a team solves for associating an alert with people but offers no way to associate an alert with a service. One can always workaround by using specific tags with alerts to capture the notion of service but this is not the same as having them rollup under the "service" concept offered by OpsGenie.

1 answer

0 votes

Hi Arvind, 

I hope your day is going well and this answer reaches you well. Currently, in the incident platform of Opsgenie, you would be able to correlate alerts to a service through the services incident rule. Utilizing the incident rule will ensure that when any specific alert comes in it can be matched to the service and then correlated to an incident as it is created automatically. I have attached a screenshot of where you can set that up. Setting the incident rule up will ensure any specific alert is matched to services and rolled up into an incident.

Please let us know if there are any further questions or concerns and we will be happy to help. 

Here is the screenshot that got left off my initial reply. Service_based_alerts_and_Opsgenie_-_Apache-ops1.jpg

Thanks @Christopher_Degidio . I was already aware of this.

What you showcased is as follows:

1. Ability to associate an incident with a service
  2. Ability to autocreate an incident via an alert
  3. Use #1 + #2 to have an alert be associated to a service

The shortcoming with this approach not every alert results in an incident. Hence the ability to directly associate an alert to a service under all situations (incident or otherwise) becomes essential.

It would be helpful to understand why Opsgenie deliberately does not provide the ability to associate an alert with a service (and hence be able to view the relationship between services). 

I agree with @Arvind_Jayaprakash that it seems natural that not all alerts are incidents, but all alerts relate to services. 

Since the tool doesn't support it, I am wondering if the way we're architecting for opsgenie is wrong given that a lot of thought has been put into the product.

Clearly tags and extra fields can be used to connote the service names and can be used in incident rules, but that doesn't help communicate the service relationships when looking at alerts, despite services existing as a native feature of the product.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Opsgenie

Enhanced Incident Response from Opsgenie’s Mobile App

We’ve released a new version of the Opsgenie Mobile App that includes enhancements already introduced into the web app to empower a collaborative, transparent incident management process. To enjoy th...

163 views 0 2
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you