Rotation of rotations? Or automation/API for building & enabling rotations?

timk September 9, 2021

I'd like to construct a rotation of rotations. I'd like to have team "A" of 8 people who take turns being on call for 24-hour shifts, one after the other, every day for a month. Then, the next month, I'd like to rotate to a new team "B" with a different 8 people on the same schedule, then a third team "C" of 8 people for the third month, then back to team A for the fourth month, and so on.

We're currently doing this by hand, which puts the responsibility on one person to build those schedules and swap them out.

Does Opsgenie support this kind of schedule out of the box? If not, is there a web API for building, enabling, and disabling on-call schedules we could use to automate it? There's a lot of documentation about alerting integrations, but I've had trouble finding API documentation for administering Opsgenie configuration.

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Robert
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 13, 2021

Hi @timk !

Opsgenie has APIs for both schedules and rotations that should help automate your workflow here. It's also worth pointing out we also have a Terraform provider for Opsgenie to help automate schedule management as well. 

Unfortunately, Opsgenie does not support rotations of rotations; however, you can set up rotations of escalations. So if you set up each of these groups into their own escalation, pointing to each schedule, that should allow you to compartmentalize each group a bit more:

2021-09-13_15-21-19 (15).png

Hope this helps!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events