Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opsgenie support for iOS Critical Alert Notifications?

Deleted user December 1, 2020

Earlier in 2020 Apple relaxed the requirements for application developers to utilize Critical Alert Notifications in iOS. Since then other incident response platforms have added the ability to leverage Critical Alerts within their Apps. Is this something that Opsgenie does today or is planning to do?

6 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Deleted user March 4, 2021

Yes! Was released a couple days ago and called out in the release notes. Awesome news. Thanks Atlassian Team. 

AFC785E3-9E72-4CE3-9134-B6194C9A73BD.jpeg

Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 4, 2021

You're very welcome! And thanks for your patience as well. Here is the documentation if of interest: https://docs.opsgenie.com/docs/ios-push-notifications#critical-alerts

Like Dries Grobler Jr likes this
Harold Brandner March 11, 2021

Can you add volume control to the critical alerts please? It plays at max volume now, which is way too loud and I've had to disable it.

Like # people like this
Ed Jackson March 12, 2021

@Nick H  I'm glad to finally see this! However, it would be a lot more useful if I could restrict it to just P1 alerts. I want alerts for a lot more things during the day than I do at night.

Like # people like this
Daniel Anderton March 20, 2021

+1 for me. It’s a great feature but not all alerts need it. As of that, I’ve disappointedly had to disable it. 

Douglas Thomas April 8, 2021

+1 from me too - also had to disable critical alerts, the volume the alerts play is stupidly loud.

K.C. Bell April 13, 2021

+1 for letting us control the volume of critical alerts! But I'm guessing it is probably an iOS setting, not something that OpsGenie has control over

Steve Loeppky (biglep) April 23, 2021

@Nick H : thanks for the link to the docs.  That said, it doesn't have any mention about "critical alerts" and overriding DND.  Is the URL wrong or did something happen to the page?

Basically, I would have wanted to see something like, "To ensure you receive alerts even when your phone is on DND or Silent Mode, go to My Profile → Sounds → Allow Critical Alerts.

IMG_E8F50226A123-1.jpeg

Daniel Grigg April 26, 2021

Geezuz, volume control please.  Maybe you know, test changes too before releasing them?

Like Bellinda Allomes likes this
2 votes
Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 1, 2020

Hi @[deleted] ,

Critical Alert notifications is on Opsgenie's roadmap, and engineering is currently working on this!

We do not have a set timeframe of when this will be released. And unfortunately - there isn't a way to follow the progress since Opsgenie tickets are not public.

But - the ticket for reference is MOB-911. In the meantime, I've added this community post to it so when we do release this feature, we'll reach back out here!

Deleted user December 2, 2020

Thanks @Nick H for the feedback. Bummer that opsgenie tickets/roadmap isn't public but hopefully it doesn't take too much time to add this as a feature.

Being able to use DND and the silence switch on my device has really been nice with our current incident response platform and will miss that ability when we switch to Opsgenie.

Marcel de Haas January 12, 2021

I would applaud this functionality since the new sleep functionality and CarPlay Do-Not-Disturb bit me in the behind this week. Can you elaborate on what level this will be implemented? I would really like to see it as a user-configurable option  on the app section in Notification Settings.

Like Chase Hansen likes this
SanderZ January 20, 2021

Hi @Nick H ,

Any update on this new feature? Or maybe an updated ETA, what quarter can we expect Emergency Alerts? 
We are currently on PagerDuty, which does offer Emergency Alerts. Opsgenie not having Emergency Alerts at this time is the primary reason for us to stick with PagerDuty at the time.

Like Chase Hansen likes this
Nick H
Atlassian Team
January 21, 2021

Hi @SanderZ ,

Engineering is still working with Apple to get this implemented and into production.

At this time, I don't have an ETA on when this will be released. Our hope is ASAP. We're just as excited to get this functionality to customers, as they are to have this available.

Unfortunately the process is quite tedious. So again - I do not have an ETA at this time. 

But we'll be sure to reach out immediately if there are any further updates, or when this goes live.

Michael Østergaard January 21, 2021

I'm also eagerly awaiting this feature, as I'm tired of having to disable silent mode, wind down and do not disturb mode every time I'm on call. So, at first I thought "Well, why on earth do they need to work with Apple on this, surely it's just an SDK switch they can flip and Bob's your uncle."

Well, I found the documentation, and... Nope. Apparently you need to get an entitlement from Apple before you can use it.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/usernotifications/unnotificationsettings/2963116-criticalalertsetting

Quote: "Critical alerts require a special entitlement issued by Apple."

What on earth, Apple...

Deleted user January 21, 2021

While I don’t agree with Apple’s direction and requiring an entitlement for access to this API the entitlement isn’t exactly difficult to get and plenty of other incident response apps and uptime monitoring apps have it.

1 vote
Andy Baumgartner October 13, 2022

Hi, has there been any progress on limiting critical alerts to certain priorities?  This is a big disadvantage and may cause us to switch away.

1 vote
Nick H
Atlassian Team
March 4, 2021

Hi Everyone,

As a few of you have found out, we recently release critical alerts for iOS. Here is our doc: 

https://docs.opsgenie.com/docs/ios-push-notifications#critical-alerts

Thanks for your patience! Let us know if you have any additional questions or issues.

Jon Dobson March 9, 2021

This is great, but the volume level when the opsgenie app is backgrounded is a bit extreme. There doesn't appear to be a way for me to override the volume level for critical alerts at the os level. Is there some way to control this in the app or settings somewhere?

Like # people like this
Marcel de Haas March 10, 2021

This should be a parameter to post with the actual push message. I've tested the volume parameter for critical alerts with my Home Assistant instance but the volume does not appear to vary when sending different parameters. I cannot verify if this is an Apple-issue or an app-issue.

If this setting would be exposed I feel it should be within the app settings and the web settings. Preferably specifying time windows (for example being able to tune down the volume after 22:00 so my wife (and my 1-year old) will be les unhappy when I'm on-call and the phone is next to the bed :-D )

Kind Regards,
Marcel

Like # people like this
Harold Brandner March 11, 2021

Is there a way to control the volume on the critical alerts? Its playing at max volume and is obnoxiously loud, so I've had to disable it because it wakes up the entire house.

I know on the Android version of the OpsGenie app, you can toggle to play alerts at max volume all the time or not. It'd be nice to have this feature in IOS as well.

Like # people like this
Deleted user March 11, 2021
Marcel de Haas March 11, 2021

I have tested this (read above) with another app but there seems to be no difference in volume whatever parameter I pass.

Jon Dobson March 11, 2021

FWIW apparently PushOver has a user-controllable critical alert volume so it does appear to be possible. https://blog.pushover.net/posts/2020/2/ios-critical-alerts

Marcel de Haas March 11, 2021

Jon,

Can you verify this works? Because I *should* be able to control the volume of my alerts from Home Assistant but the parameter does not seem to affect the actual volume. Mind you the sounds from Opsgenie are way louder compared to the sounds from Home Assistant. So as a temporary solution the sound integrated in OG could be edited... ;-)

Jon Dobson March 13, 2021

Marcel - I tested the volume control feature in PushOver and it works as advertised. 

it would be great to see this ability to control critical alert volume implemented in OG. Not really useful to me without that.

Like David Gräßer likes this
David Gräßer March 15, 2021

Should we create a new question for that or how can we ensure that this feature request (volume control for critical alerts) will be considered?

Like Bellinda Allomes likes this
Daniel Myers April 11, 2021

As others have said, tried this and removed as soon as I heard it. 
this feature would be great if you could manage volume. 
Eg it’s next to my bed at night when I need to wake up, low volume only is required.   Brilliant if I left dnd or headphones in by accident. 

Like # people like this
1 vote
Dries Grobler Jr March 3, 2021

Hi All, 

I am on iOS 14.4 and opening up Opsgenie today I got this request to allow Critical Alerts. 

It would be interesting to know if anyone else has seen this pop-up. 

And putting my phone on Do Not Disturb does not block the alert

Opsgenie_Critical_Alerts_available_on_iOS.png

Great news! 🥳

Cuong Trinh May 2, 2022

Hi All,

Please advise why I always receive CRITICAL notified on my IOS App regardless what priority of alert is created. 

Thanks

OpsGenie Alert Critical.jpg

0 votes
Nick H
Atlassian Team
October 14, 2022

Hi Everyone,

We have a public feature request to better define what is a Critical Alert for iOS. You can follow, watch and vote for that here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/OPSGENIE-134

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events