Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpsGenie API (Create alert) Authentication problem

Ricardo Felgueiras November 12, 2020

Hi, all.

I'm trying to create an alert via OpsGenie API but I'm getting an error related to the authentication.
Please, find below the steps I'm following and all the details about the problem.

Here is the command I'm executing:

curl --location --request POST 'https://api.opsgenie.com/v2/alerts' \--header 'Authorization: GenieKey <MY API KEY>' \--header 'Content-Type: text/plain' \--data-raw ''\''{"message": "Test alert", "description": "This is just a test" }'\'''

But, I'm getting this error:

{ "code": 40301, "message": "To perform this action, use an API key from an API integration.", "took": 0.002, "requestId": "1343b720-98e8-49f1-bb4e-1706c2b9ae83"}

I generated the API key from the settings menu (Settings -> API Key Management). The API key has read, create and update access rights.

Regarding the API URL, I tried to use the Europe URL - https://api.eu.opsgenie.com/v2/alerts

But, I get this error

{ "message": "Could not authenticate", "took": 0.007, "requestId": "6d3adc4c-d201-4fdc-9caf-8db62233e4fb"}

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

2 votes
Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 12, 2020

Hi @Ricardo Felgueiras 

The Create Alert API requires an API key from an API integration. This can be added under the Settings tab >> Integrations tab, or under a team's Integrations tab. NOTE - If the integration is assign to a team, it will only be able to create alerts for that team.

An API key from the API Key Management tab will produce this 403 error (apiKey is valid but the apiKey cannot do this operation because of permissions).

Let us know if you have any issues or errors after.

Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 12, 2020

Also - I noticed your syntax is using header:

Content-Type: text/plain

And Opsgenie will be expecting it in

Content-Type: application/json

Otherwise you'll most likely receive a "Content type is not supported" error.

Ricardo Felgueiras November 12, 2020

Yes, it works. 

Thank you very much for your help.

Like # people like this
premsaisala June 21, 2023

This is not working even if the content type is application/json

Like Tariq, Estehsan likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders