Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notify next on-call user Ignores Schedule Overrides

Sam January 13, 2021

In Opsgenie, we had an instance where an escalation policy notifies the current and next on-call user, but the team has noticed that the alert will always default to the next on-call user in the original schedule and if the original schedule has been overridden so that the next on-call user is different, the alert will go to the next on-call user in the original schedule.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior, and is there anything I can do to make sure it doesn't happen again?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Sam January 13, 2021

I've just confirmed with Atlassian support that this is a known issue.

Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2021

Hi @Sam ,

Glad you were able to connect with someone else on our team. We'll be sure to reach out if there's an update on this issue in the future.

As for a workaround - since the override only respects the current on-call rule - you could clone the schedule, and change the escalation rule from notify next user in schedule A >> notify on-call user in schedule B (or the cloned schedule).

For example:

sched comm 1.jpg

Then offset this new schedule's rotation by one user to essentially account for the "next" on-call user:

sched comm 2.jpg

And finally adjust the escalation rule from notifying the next on-call user in Schedule A >> notify on-call user in Schedule B. Final configuration might look something like this:

sched comm 3.jpg

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any questions or issues with this configuration.

Like # people like this
Zachary andrew Powers January 13, 2021

awesome

Lance Milleson December 10, 2021

Is there an open support ticket for this known issue?

Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 10, 2021

The ticket for reference is OGS-95Escalate to "next/previous user in Rotation" does not respect overrides.

I've added you as a +1 @Lance Milleson to the ticket. Since our feature requests are not publicly facing, we'll reach out if/when there are any updates on it.

Ray Cooke June 8, 2022

Hi Nick,

We're facing the same issue so I'd appreciate an additional +1 added for me please.

Thanks,

Ray

Like Robert Moss likes this
1 vote
Dustin July 20, 2023

Hello @Sam and Everyone, 

I have another potential workaround for this issue, until it is resolved.

When using next-user escalations for alerts and an override is added, you will have the originally scheduled nest on-call, create an alert forwarding rule for the override timeframes.  I find this is less time consuming than creating an additional schedule and creating additional rules to send to the second schedule.

Best,

0 votes
Nick H
Atlassian Team
June 8, 2022

Hi Everyone,

We now have an open feature request that can followed, watched and voted for here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/OPSGENIE-389

Ray Cooke June 8, 2022

Great, thanks! Voting now.

Dustin July 18, 2023

Just added another vote.

Iago September 26, 2023

Another vote over here.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin