Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My role for Opsgenie is Admin, but I can't modify notification rules

Doug Garcia January 19, 2023

My role listed under People > Users shows that I'm an Admin for Opsgenie.  I was recently asked to see if I can modify individuals Notification rules (e.g. some people don't want a text message for a certain level alert, others don't want emails for other alerts, etc).  However, whenever I go to each individual, there is no way to modify their settings.  I'm assuming this is due to a global template that I either can't find or don't have permission to change?

Any help would be appreciated.

1 answer

1 vote
Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 19, 2023

Hi @Doug Garcia ,

If you are listed as an Admin in your Opsgenie and cannot edit users' notification rules - that leads me to believe a Central Notification Template is configured.

You can find those under the Settings >> Central notification templates tab within Opsgenie. If this is applied to a users's role you are trying to edit, you will not be able to since these standardize notification rules depending on the account role of your Opsgenie user(s).

Doug Garcia January 19, 2023

Ok, thank you for the answer.  Yes, I was concerned I couldn't modify per user, but had to be global.  Makes sense.  Thanks!

Like Nick H likes this
Adithya Viswanathan May 17, 2023

@Doug Garcia Thank for the suggestion. I am currently using JSM free plan (Standard) with admin permission, and I do not see Settings >> Central notification templates tab within Opsgenie in my settings of OpsGenie. 

with the current plan, the agents can configure alerts, with the following format 'Notify me via communication channel at myname@domain Just Before when my on-call starts/ends. Ideally we want the option to modify the Just Before  part and change to 10mins or 30mins, but I do not see this option in notification creation steps. 

Is this only available in the paid plans?

Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 18, 2023

Hi @Adithya Viswanathan ,

JSM/O Standard is the equivalent of the standalone Opsgenie Essentials plan - which does not include Central Notification Templates. This would explain why you do not see this in your Opsgenie since it's a restriction with the plan.

Like Adithya Viswanathan likes this
Adithya Viswanathan May 18, 2023

Thanks for the prompt response @Nick H!

Does this also mean that we do not have the feature to modify notification alerts with the Standard plan? 

With the current plan, the agents and admins can configure notification alerts for the on-call schedule, which are of the following format 'Notify me via communication channel at myname@domain Just Before when my on-call starts/ends.

Ideally we want to modify the Just Before part and change to 10mins, 30mins, or one day before the on-call schedule starts. But I do not see this option in notification creation steps (as seen in the attachment)

Screenshot 2023-05-18 174903 - Copy (2).jpg

Is this also not possible with the Standard plan?

Nick H
Atlassian Team
May 18, 2023

The times of the schedule start / end notification rules cannot be adjusted outside of what is already offered, but there's an open feature request for this that you can follow, watch and vote for here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/OPSGENIE-315

Adithya Viswanathan May 18, 2023

So, what's explained in this video on modifying notification rules, could you please let us know how to access this? 

Is it only available in other plans? I can not find the specific details here

Nick H
Atlassian Team
May 19, 2023

Essentials (and JSM/O Standard) plans only allow for one notification rule. You can read about more plan limitations here: What are the limitations of the Essentials plan?

Like Adithya Viswanathan likes this
Adithya Viswanathan May 19, 2023

Thanks a lot for the clarification Nick! Much appreciated :) 

Like Nick H likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events