Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modification Rules Around Closed Incidents

Erica Dohring February 23, 2023

I'm a bit confused by some fields are modifiable after an incident is closed and some aren't. For example, you can modify the P level or incident time, you can write a postmortem, but you can't remove responders or reopen the incident. 

It's my understanding you must close an incident to prevent further alerts that come in from attaching to it. If the incident is simply resolved, folks won't get paged for new alerts. 

Is it configureable to ...

- Reopen closed incidents?

- Modify the responders after the fact?

1 answer

1 vote
Mona Singh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 27, 2023

Hello Erica,

This is Mona and I’m here to help :)

As you rightly pointed out that you can modify some of the incident fields when it’s closed like updating the Priority, Impacted Date, Add Entry under Timeline & Create Postmortem report. However, once the incident is closed, unfortunately, you won’t be able to reopen the incident as per the current design.

This is because the Closed state is considered conclusive, indicating that all necessary actions have been taken. Therefore, once closed, an incident’s only available action is to delete. Also, Recipients will be notified when an incident is closed.
For more details, you can refer to this doc.

That being said, we would like to inform you that we already have a Feature Request raised to our concerned teams for this use case which is still under review. Please feel free to add yourself as a watcher and vote on this ticket to get the latest updates on it.

Here’s the ticket link for your reference:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/OPSGENIE-262

Hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any follow-up questions.

Thanks,
Mona Singh

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events