Mapping a team in OpsGenie to a different team name in Service Now

Michael Gaston March 21, 2023

Has anyone had to do this before? We need to link a team with a different name in ops genie to a team in service now so we can segment who is in that group. We want the same functionality as normal though. We have been told this is possible via custom mapping in the business rules, but it's tough to know where to start with no prior examples to work from and zero support from OpsGenie. 

1 answer

0 votes
Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 21, 2023

Hi @Michael Gaston ,

I believe that should be possible - if you are trying to map the Opsgenie team to a group/team in ServiceNow - when an OG alert creates a SNOW incident. 

This Community Article my colleague wrote might help with customizing the script needed: How do I populate additional fields in a ServiceNow Incident?

In that article, the example maps the "Entity” field from the Opsgenie alert to the “Category” field of the ServiceNow incident - but the idea should be the same for your use case.

Michael Gaston March 22, 2023

That is perfect thank you for your response, I will give that a shot.

On the flipside, what if an alert is raised in the other direction? How do we get an incident that has been raised to a priority that triggers an alert in service now, to link to a team with a different name in OpsGenie? 

Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 22, 2023

Hi @Michael Gaston 

I actually just published a Community Article that should help with the other direction you mentioned above: How to Alert Different Teams Through One Integration

Feel free to give that a 👍 if you find it helpful!

Like Michael Gaston likes this
Michael Gaston March 22, 2023

Thank you Nick you've been very helpful!

Like Nick H likes this
Michael Gaston March 27, 2023

Follow up question @Nick H

After some tinkering with the field maps on the table transform map, it looks like it is only pulling info if they are listed in this section. This works for the priority, which wasn't pulling over before I added it to this section. It also works for the description, and short description, so I changed the description to map to the assignment group in service now and this correctly set it as expected. I'm wondering if there's a way we can get that sys_tag field to pull over though so we don't have to sacrifice the description field in order to set the assignment group. 

In the field map shown I currently have the description mapping to the assignment group which successfully sets the group, but if I were to change this to the tags mapping to assignment group, it would come through blank even if I fill out that tags field with the assignment group.  

Capture.PNGCapture.PNG

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events