Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just need SMS Alerts

Eric Hillman December 16, 2023

We have our own monitoring software at our company.  I need it to send sms messages for critical alerts, but sending to <phone number>@vtext.com isn't reliable.  It's never been reliable.  So I need this service to send reliable sms alerts to our phones.  I don't need an on-call schedule or some of the other features of opsgenie.  Once I create my account and setup my cell phone in the SMS field, how do I setup my monitor software to send alerts?  Is it an email address like <username>@opsgenie.com?  For some reason I'm just not finding this answer.

Also, is this overkill?  Is there a better way of doing what I want to do?  Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2023

Hi @Eric Hillman , welcome to the community.

Have you seen the documentation on this as yet? set-up-your-alert-notifications 

Yes.  It looks like that shows you how to setup where you want your alerts to go: phone, email voice, etc... I'm asking how do I send an alert from my internal network?  I'm assuming I'll get some sort of email @OpsGenie.com that will forward the message to whatever I have setup as my preferred form of alert ie SMS.  

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2023

The subsequent article create-and-manage-notification-preferences discusses how to define the alert preferences by user. So when a user is on call then the will be alerted by the system according to their preferences. It won't be an email unless that is specifically how the user is set up. You mentioned earlier, not needing to set up schedules but if your method of operation is to simply have a single individual, always handling the issues then you set up a simple, schedule, for that person, I.e. always on call.

I think I figured it out.  Apparently, you add an api string to your monitoring app to connect it and allow it to send alerts.  Not sure if this is the only way though.  What if I want to write a script to send an alert?  What command would I use to send it?

Got it.  You have to create an integration with email, then it gives you an email address to use for whatever notification type you chose.  Thanks

Like Jack Brickey likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events