cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSM assigning tickets from Opsgenie on-call callandar

Chris Thomas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2021

When we started looking into Opsgenie there were two possible features we were very interested in. One being the auto-notification to the person on call, which will be fine if we upgrade to standard.

The next biggest is a way to have JSM access the on call list directly.

There are a few of scenarios:

1. A ticket comes in for a standard issue that does not need alerts. We would like the helpdesk agent to assign it to (SE on-call schedule) for example and it auto populates the name and sends the proper notifications.

2. We have a automated ticket created from an alert or whatever, and in the automation I can set the assignee to the team on-call.

3. This would be extremely useful but not a deal breaker. It would be helpful if the person who acknowledged the alert was automatically set as the assignee. For example if the backup acknowledged an alert on a ticket from JSM, it assigned the ticket to that person.

Is there a way to do any of these in the Basic functionality for testing, is this something we can do if we upgrade to standard or are none of these available?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mario Licup August 24, 2022

Hey Chris, I am getting Jira tickets auto assigned to my team from our OpsGenie on-call schedule through an automation rule. I think atlassian should have made this native to the service but here is my work around. 

Automation Rule - 

When: Issue Created

Issue Type Equals 
(your issueType here)

Then: Send Web Request 
GET
https://api.opsgenie.com/v2/schedules/:scheduleIdentifier/on-calls

And: Edit Issue fields
Assignee to {{webResponse.body.data.onCallParticipants.name}}

the last step contains the smart value returned in the JSON from the API call. 

Luis Gutierrez July 1, 2023

I'm not able to add the assignee using the webresponse, could you add a picture on how you did it?

Luis Gutierrez July 1, 2023

I already added the API key and tried both with your url and this other one substituting api for my company namespace, would you know what am I missing?

0 votes
Jelani Walton April 6, 2023

Hey all, is there a way to round robin assign the issue if multiple agents are on the schedule at the same time?

0 votes
Connor Eyles
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2021

Hi Chris!

Hope you are well :)

1. What the helpdesk agent can do is view the on-call page and manually assign an SE accordingly. To view the Oncall schedule the helpdesk technician can view all the on-call schedules and assign them accordingly.

Image 2021-01-25 at 3.20.09 pm

But if you are talking about auto assigning the SE on an Opsgenie alert based on an evaluated ticket in Jira this can happen automatically. The Opsgenie alert is created from Jira Service Management through webhooks, You can find more information here https://docs.opsgenie.com/docs/jiraservicedesk-integration 

You can set JQL queries on when these triggers are created OR set up filters within the Opsgenie integration to only create alerts based on parsed information.

For Item 2 & 3 for automatically assigning the assignee in Jira based on the Opsgenie technician this can happen. At the moment there is no straightforward way to achieve this but a combination of the Integration’s Action Mapping + Automation Rule can be used to map 1-to-1. 

I can provide these steps if you want to go down this path :)

Thanks,
Connor

Scott O_Neil January 26, 2021

@Connor Eyles if you could supply the steps for 2 and 3 that would be appreciated, we are attempting to do exactly that and our process is ...lengthy....would greatly appreciate seeing those options! 

Connor Eyles
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 26, 2021

Hi @Scott O_Neil 

Here are the steps on how to do the workaround :)

1. In Opsgenie - Map the integration to add a comment on the ticket when the alert is acknowledged:

Image 2021-01-27 at 12.08.17 pm

2. In Jira - Create an Automation Rule that filters on the user's name and assigns them to the ticket:

Image 2021-01-27 at 11.57.51 am

Note - Multiple automation rules will need to be configured for each assignee, but they can be easily copied/cloned. 

Simply rename the rule > adjust the IF condition > adjust the THEN condition

Thanks,
Connor

Like # people like this
Deleted user July 15, 2021

Hi Connor Eyles Any luck making this a built in feature in Opsgenie/ Jira? 

Like Chris Thomas likes this
Connor Eyles
Atlassian Team
July 18, 2021

Hi @[deleted] 

So far this is not a built-in feature, however, you can track this feature request here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-9731

Thanks,

Connor

Simon Wong September 16, 2021

Just quickly chiming in here that this is also a feature we're looking for as a new OpsGenie customer. In our use case, we have numerous on-call teams and the on-call engineers on each team are quite fluid. Meaning that the (essentially) hardcoded mappings in the Automation Rule would require constant update and could be error-prone. However, it does act as a workaround until (if ever) such a feature is built-in.

Another route we're exploring is to build a Lambda function using Jira and OpsGenie APIs that will periodically (e.g. every hour) set the JSM Component owners to be the on-call of said Component (our Components are mapped to on-call teams). Our processes that generate JSM Incidents automatically map Incidents to Components and in turn the appropriate on-call since the Lambda function would keep the Component owners up to date.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events