Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSM : Difference with the ID between Change & Incident

ilyes hammami
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 19, 2024

Hello everyone,

I want to implement JSM but i am not sure about one thing regarding the ID ticket.

As i understood , JSM is using only one single type of ID for the all project - ex : ITSM-XXXX.

But how can difference my ticket between incident/ change / problem without the field "Category"

I need to quickly know if it's a change ou incident.

INC-XXXX
CHG-XXXX

Do i have to open different project for the different processus

Thanks for your help

2 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2024

Hi @ilyes hammami , the issue key (ABC-123) is composed of two parts:

• ABC is the project key. All issues in a given project will begin with this project key.
  • 123 is a sequential number that increments by 1 with each new issue

there are a number of ways to distinguish issues: issue types, request types, issue category, custom fields, labels, etc. 

it might be best to leverage Customer request type for your use case but I can't say for sure without really understanding your business use case.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2024

The desire to use the issue type as part of the issue key is usually a hangover from using legacy systems that were too primitive or poorly designed (for humans) to use separate identifiers to make search and usage work properly!

I too would use the issue type to "quickly see whether it's a change, incident, or problem"

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2024

@ilyes hammami , first let me say that you cannot achieve that nomenclature within a single project as mentioned before. So, if indeed you must have that nomenclature, then yes, you would need different projects. However, I would really seek to understand why this is a must have requirement. As Nic indicated, it may be a remnant of past systems so users have become comfortable with it. Should that be the case I would advise you to discuss with the team and reconsider the approach .

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
0 votes
ilyes hammami
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 19, 2024

I need to have for each processes different label name.

incident -> INC-XXX

change -> CHG-XXX

problem -> PRB-XXX

Do i have to create for each processes different project on JSM?

For exemple in Service now or BCM remedy, the label name is native to compare the ticket 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events