Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to track if a notification about alert sent to a user has failed?

Saloni Hajare October 12, 2021

For example if I have the sms and email notification in place. The notification is being sent to these platforms however has failed. Is there a way to notify the same user or another user or generate an alert in Opsgenie saying that notification attempt to send  sms/ email has failed ?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Justin Sitarz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 13, 2021

Hi Saloni!

Justin here, from Opsgenie support - happy to help!

There's nothing that accomplishes what you're looking to do *exactly*, but let me walk through a few options that may get you some of the way there:

1) Using our notification analytics report: This allows you to compare the number of attempted notifications to the number of completed/successful notifications - so it can show how many notifications failed to reach a user. Note, though, that this will include phone calls that are unanswered by the user - not just calls that fail for other reasons.

2) Using the alert activity logs: These will show failures in the UI, but won't notify anyone about them - because of this, you can use our Alert API to pull down these activity logs, and parse them to detect notification failures. See the documentation for that here: Alert API > Activity Log API

3) You can also use our general purpose Logs API  to pull down all system logs, which will include notifications failures. To take this a step further, we offer a CLI for interacting with our API called Lamp, which has a command to download logs that makes the process much easier. With this, you can pull down all logs for a particular range of time, parse them, and report on the notification failures. 

Hopefully this gets you closer to an answer that will work for you, but please let me know if there's anything else I can help with today!

Best, 

Justin S.

Atlassian Cloud Support

Saloni Hajare October 14, 2021

Hi Justin, thank you so much for your answer and walking through different methods. This has been very helpful

Best,

Saloni

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events