Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to add tags to incidents based on impacted service?

Andy Ades February 23, 2021

We have escalation rules in place to alert alternate teams based on tags on an incident. When an incident is created, is it possible to automatically add tags based on criteria? 

I see the ability to do it for alerts via alert policies. I also see incident rules, but that only seems to be related for creating incidents. I'm looking for functionality similar to Automation for Jira.

1 answer

0 votes
Samir
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 15, 2021

Hi @Andy Ades !

It would be dependent on how you're creating incidents. Are your incidents being created automatically from alerts via incident rules? If so, within the incident rule you can specify which tags will be added to the incident...

e.g.

incidentrule.png

Incident rules are configured within a service. So for example that incident rule is configured on a service named "Sev1". 

If you're manually creating incidents, then you would be specifying which services are impacted during the creation of the incident...

e.g.

manualncident.png

In which case you can add the tags there. But sounds like you don't want the user to have to specify the tags, but rather have a policy applied after the incident is created, that sets the tags based on the impacted services?

If so - that wouldn't be possible since policies apply to alerts not incidents like you mentioned.

However, it's worth noting that the incident itself does not follow the escalation policies. Each incident creates responder alert(s) for each team that is a responder on the incident, and those responder alerts are what notify those teams, according to their configuration (routing rules, escalation policies, etc)

So you could setup a global policy to add tags to those responder alerts, but the responder alert doesn't show the affected services, so you wouldn't be able to add tags based on the affected services in that case either.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events