In Ops Genie alert query underscore character fails match

Jeffery Caldwell May 11, 2022

I have alerts with the "_" character in the description.  But these are not matching when I query something of this form:

description:*AAAA_BBBB_FAILURE*

If I use any section it will match but the entire pattern fails to match.

1 answer

0 votes
Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 11, 2022

Hi @Jeffery Caldwell ,

"Wildcards can only be used after characters and will only match from the start of character sequences. Character sequences need to be separated by a space for the wildcard to try and match to each sequence of characters."

So if the string in your description is actually something like "XXXX-AAAA_BBBB_FAILURE" - Opsgenie is not gonna be able to query using that since the string starts with something else.

We have an open feature request for this additional functionality you can follow here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/OPSGENIE-217

Dominic D Wasserzug June 21, 2022

I don't believe that bug fully matches the issue being described. I have encountered the same issue.

If you search for any text before an underscored you will find your alert.

beforeunderscore.PNG

If you search for any text after an underscore you will not find your alert.afterunderscore.PNGIf you search for any text before and after the underscore, but include the literal text surrounding the underscore, you will find your alert.workaround.PNG

Based on this behavior I can surmise that whatever is processing the string will only process the literal underscore character if it is wrapped by other literal characters. This means that something is processing the underscore symbolically. So I believe this should be a new bug to allow the use of the literal underscore in the search string.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events