Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set OpsGenie Alert Priority from Jira Issue Priority?

Mike Heyns July 2, 2019

Hi everyone!

We'd like to understand how to map Jira's Priority field to OpsGenie's.

I read through the documentation but Jira has a global set that we can't modify to include the P1-5 substrings.

Additionally, we would want both Blocker and Critical to map to P1

Is this possible? Hopefully with both now being Atlassian products, we could expect tighter integration.

Thanks for listening!

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Mike Heyns July 2, 2019

I believe I've figured it out.

By setting multiple create actions, each for a different static priority, and using the filters to check the Jira priority.

2019-07-02_22-49-18.png

Deleted user December 28, 2020

Thanks to your post, I was able to address my issues as well. Woohoo!

1 vote
Emirhan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 4, 2019

Hey Mike, 

Happy to see that you were able to find a workaround for your scenario. Apart from it, there is also another way of mapping priority fields from Jira to Opsgenie side - you can also use it if you don't want to create multiple create alert rules. 

Basically, when an issue is created from Jira, the default priorities does not match the acceptable priority levels in Opsgenie. If the priority handling is similar to Jira and Opsgenie, a quick workaround is to insert the Opsgenie accepted priority strings into Jira.

In Jira cloud, priority values are global. Changes will affect all projects in Jira. 

1. Go to https://<SITE>.atlassian.net/secure/admin/ViewPriorities.jspa 
  2. Insert P1, P2, P3, P4, P5 into the priority values (ie. P1 Highest, P2 High, P3 Medium, P4 Low, P5 Lowest).
  3. In the Opsgenie Jira Service Desk integration advance settings, set the Mapped Priority Value to {{priority.substring(0,2)} 

That method will help you to capture priority strings coming from your Jira instance and alerts will be raised in Opsgenie accordingly. 

Opsgenie_-_Integration.jpg

Hope this helps, let us know if anything else is needed!
Warm regards,

Emirhan from Opsgenie,

Mike Heyns July 4, 2019

Thanks, Emirhan!

I considered using this but as pointed out above, the priorities are shared by all Jira projects and so our team could not modify them.

Hopefully this will be useful for someone!

0 votes
Wajdan November 9, 2020

Hello @Emirhan hope you are doing good.

I am not able to map priorities From JSD to Opsgenie from the way you have described above. I have changed priority names on JSD to P1-Crtical,P2-High and so on. 

and step 3 aswell but the priorities are still showing under p3 in all the alerts.

What can be the issue? what am I missing? I cannot see Values field in JSD priority so I assumed Name field and Value are same things.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events