How to send close alert message for an existing alert in Opsgenie from Amazon SNS

Jose_Martin June 8, 2020

Hi there,

I have configured both the part of sending alerts by Amazon SNS to opgenie with custom actions and the return from Opsgenie to Amazon SNS when the resolving user clicks on any of the custom actions to run  a tasks on my infrastructure.

So, when this task is done satisfactory in my infra I would like to notify opsgenie saying the task has been executed correctly (in a nutshell, send a close action) and therefore opgenie closes the alert automatically. How can I do that? Using alias and deduplicate?

Many thanks,

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Robert
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 9, 2020

Hi @Jose_Martin!

You’ve definitely got a few options when it comes to both running the action and what to do with the alert once the action completes. I’ll try and break these down into those two sections:

Running the action

The best choice here is ultimately going to depend on where you want to host this custom action. We have a few outbound channels you can use to handle sending the action:

• Outgoing SNS Integration:

• If you are looking to keep it cloud-based, then the outgoing SNS integration or action channel is probably my first choice. This would let you trigger, for example, a Lambda function each time Opsgenie posts to the SNS topic you specify.

• Opsgenie Edge Connector:

• Opsgenie Edge Connector (OEC) is a great option if you have the infrastructure available to run the OEC service. It has a small resource footprint, sits within your own infrastructure, and can run a specific script for a specific custom action.

• Webhook:

• This is functionally similar to the SNS integration but will send a generic HTTP request to an endpoint instead. This is a good platform-agnostic option for outbound actions.

• AWS Systems Manager

• Opsgenie Actions

What to do when the action completes

My own preference is to leave closing the alert to the monitoring tool when possible. For something like SNS, it should be able to “recover” and send the OK state change to Opsgenie to close the alert.

Whether you decide to close the alert as part of your custom action, or just post the results/output as a note, that would be done with an Alert API request as part of your script (https://docs.opsgenie.com/docs/alert-api).

Jose_Martin June 10, 2020

Awesome! Thanks @Robert 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events