How to inhibit alerts outside office hours for teams in different time zones

Andrew Goldney July 2, 2021

We have five operational teams, each in a different state and in different time zones.

I’m trying to set up Opsgenie so that notifications for P3, P4 and P5 messages aren’t created during night hours. I can do this using a user notification rule to restrict these messages to a set period. The problem with this is if a message occurs during the restricted period, there’s no notification when the restriction finishes, so the user would be unaware that an alert was present unless they checked their app. I would like it to create an audible notification at the start of the restricted period if an unacknowledged message was present.

The other method I found was to set a teams policy to delay the notifications till the morning. This works great, except that it uses the account time zone rather than the user or schedule time zone. I could offset it for the teams that aren’t on the account time zone, but then it’ll be wrong when daylight saving starts as not all states apply it.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to overcome this?

1 answer

1 vote
Samir
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 8, 2021

Hi @Andrew Goldney ,

In this scenario it sounds like a team notification policy to delay notifications that come in during certain times would be best, however you're right you may have to edit it when daylight savings time occurs.

Restricting a user's notification rules to only send notifications during certain hours will stop that user from receiving any alerts that go to them during the hours that the notification rule does not cover, there isn't a way to "delay" notifications via notification rules.

The other option is to set the routing rules on each time to route alerts to "no-one" that come in during off-hours, however that would have the same effect as no notifications would be sent at the start of business hours for alerts that came in during off-hours if they were routed to "no-one".

The team notification policy to "delay" notifications is the only option for actually delaying the notifications. I think that is your best option, and will just have to adjust the policy's hours when DST occurs.

Thanks,

Samir

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events