Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to automatically create a Jira Software Issue from an OpsGenie alert

I have tried searching the Community (and Google) for this exact scenario, but have come up blank. 

Illustrating an example (names changed for security): One of our OpsGenie alerts periodically comes in titled (Alias), "Transfer failed". We want OpsGenie/Jira Software to automatically create an Issue ticket in our "Tech Support" (TS) Project, when this alert is created in OpsGenie.

As far as I can tell, you can only configure this from OpsGenie > Settings > INTEGRATIONS > Configured integrations > Jira Service Management > Settings > For other Opsgenie alerts:

image.png

Is there no other way to automatically create issues from an OpsGenie Alert?

PS: We're already aware you can link issues to an Opsgenie Incident

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nick H Atlassian Team Oct 13, 2021

Hi @Elisa Escapa ,

That is correct - the only way to create Jira issues from Opsgenie alerts is through the For other Opsgenie alerts: section within the integration.

Based on the screenshot you shared above, any alert that contained one of those conditions in the alias field of an alert would trigger the integration, and create in issue in the configured Jira project under these settings:

jiracommm1.jpg

^ That's where you'd configure Issue Type; Ticket, and  Project Key; TS.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Hi Nick, thank you so much for confirming! 

If that's the case, then it sounds like there isn't a way to take this further and be able to map alert properties into issue fields? For example, say we had a custom field in Jira Software called Issue Category, and I want its value to be "Alerts: Transfer Failure" when the OG alert it was created from includes the words "Transfers failed" in that specific order.

I've heard about OEC but not entirely sure whether that is a way to work around this?

OEC is definitely what we suggest for working around this! 

You would install the OEC service on a server, and it will sit in the middle of Opsgenie and Jira. Opsgenie alerts would send to OEC, which will then execute a script to create Jira issues. You can modify the OEC script to customize things such as configure it to set an Opsgenie alert field as a required custom field in Jira (such as the Issue Category). 

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have any other questions.

EDIT: I should have mentioned this as well, but Opsgenie has a new Jira and JSM Integration Framework that offers the option to map custom required fields without using OEC! It's still in beta so if you'd be interested in testing, please open a ticket with Opsgenie support here: https://support.atlassian.com/opsgenie/

cfcomm1.jpg

Like Elisa Escapa likes this

Oh that's brilliant, thank you for suggesting the beta feature! I'll ask Support for access, thank you so much for going up and beyond a standard answer 😄

Like Nick H likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Opsgenie

Leveraging Atlassian’s Opsgenie and AWS Cloudformation Registry to stay ahead of incidents

In the past, managing IT infrastructure was a hard job. It required a lot of manual effort and it was hard to keep track of all the necessary information (monitoring, scalability etc). Thankfully, as...

1,757 views 0 10
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you