It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to alert entire team + escalate to on-call engineer?

avarvel I'm New Here Jun 14, 2020

Hi everyone,

We have a team of four engineers and I would like to set up alerting as below

-All engineers get SMS'd immediately

-If not ack'd after X minutes, call on-call engineer

-If not ac'd after a further X minutes, call specific person.

How would I achieve this? Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Emirhan Atlassian Team Jun 16, 2020

Hello @avarvel

Thank you for contacting Opsgenie Community!

Within the escalation policies, you'll be able to configure which user/schedule/team should be notified if the alert is not acknowledged/closed within a defined period. Here is how your escalation policy should look:

image (23).png

The notification methods of how users receive notifications can be configured under the profile settings of each user. On the other hand, we do have a feature called Central Notification templates that provides the ability to define shared notification settings that are managed from a single place and can be assigned to user roles.

https://docs.opsgenie.com/docs/central-notification-templates

That being said, we do not generally recommend our customers to use SMS & Voice notifications at the very beginning of the notification flow while you have an email and mobile app notifications options. Mostly, the recommendation is using the SMS & Voice notifications as a back-up plan where your on-call users are not responding to the alerts, like 30 minutes later, after the alert created so you can have more aggressive notification flow if the expected actions are not taken. 

I hope my answer helps.

Please, feel free to let me know if you have anything else in mind, I would be happy to assist!

avarvel I'm New Here Jun 16, 2020

Hi @Emirhan ,

Thanks for the reply. Our use case relies on SMS/Voice as we need to react very quickly to our issues.

To simplify, what would be the escalation/notification settings for this? I can't work out how to configure it like this despite playing around for a few hours.

Engineer A is on-call, Engineer B is manager

---- SMS Engineer A, B & C immediately

---- if not ack'd in 5 minutes, call on-call Engineer (A)

---- if not ack'd in 10 minutes, call manager (Engineer B)

Thanks,

Andy

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Opsgenie

Enhanced Incident Response from Opsgenie’s Mobile App

We’ve released a new version of the Opsgenie Mobile App that includes enhancements already introduced into the web app to empower a collaborative, transparent incident management process. To enjoy th...

163 views 0 2
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you