Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exclude Alert Description on Alert Close (Slack)?

Matt Jones October 11, 2022

We have a Datadog -> Opsgenie integration, and have fairly verbose "notes" that are sent along with the alert to direct our engineers on next steps for any alert.

When the alert fires, this works great!  Opsgenie gets the description and forwards it to the on-call engineer, and the post it makes to slack includes the notes that we've written.

When the alert closes, it seems that Datadog sends the same note along with the closure, and Opsgenie "updates" the slack post with the note content- which is just the same as it was before.  It's kind of ugly in slack- we get the "system closed alert" message, which is nice.  But immediately after get a "System added note" with a potentially big block of text- which as I mentioned is a repeat of the "when in alarm" instructions.

Can I configure the opsgenie-slack integration to not send notes on alert closure?

From the datadog side, I can reduce the size of the note by encapsulating it with {{#is_alert}} tags, but that only partially reduces the size of the post-close note.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 11, 2022

Hi @Matt Jones ,

It sounds like Opsgenie is adding a note when closing the alert? Hope I'm understanding that correctly. 

By default, the Datadog integration adds the templated message as a note when the alert is closed. You should be able to remove this, or clear a note from being added when the alert closes under the Close Alert action(s):

dd1.jpg

Note that screenshot is of the Advanced tab of the integration, and this is only available on the standalone Opsgenie Standard and Enterprise plans, as well the JSM/O Premium and Enterprise plans.

Yeah, it seems we are on the Essentials plan, and I don't have a settings page that looks like that.  Is this something that is intentionally withheld from the Essentials plan?  

As far as I can see- I can only admin the Datadog integration from the Team page- not the general settings page.

Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 11, 2022

The Advanced tab isn't offered on the Free and Essentials plans. You'd have to upgrade to Standard or Enterprise for this functionality. To review what is/not included in each plan, check out our pricing page: 

https://www.atlassian.com/software/opsgenie/pricing

Besides upgrading, there isn't a workaround since the templated message is added as a note when an alert is closed by default. 

Thanks for the info

Like Nick H likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events