Disable notification upon priority increase

Carsten Häusler May 21, 2021

For an open incident when the priority is increased (e.g. from P3 to P1), the responder alert will restart. In the logs of the responder alert you see this message:
"Alert priority has been updated to P1 via system (Previous priority was P3). Will stop ongoing escalations and notification rule steps, and restart the notification flow as if the alert is newly created now."

For our use case, if the alert is acknowledged once when it was in P3 is enough. For the person handling the incident it is annoying to get a call for every priority increase.

Is there any way to turn this off or have a workaround for it?

I was checking the policy section and it doesn't really help. The only way I see so far is to supress notifications of P1 or P2 alerts. But that's obviously far from ideal. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Justin Sitarz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 10, 2021

Hi Carsten!

It's not possible (at this time) to disable the reevaluation of the various aspects of the notification flow when the priority is increased - this is the default behavior, and there's not a way to turn it off.

In general, upgrading the priority is usually recommended when the alert itself needs to behave in a different way - to use a different escalation, or to notify different team members in a different schedule. If the alert is intended to continue to be responded to by the same user, and has already been acknowledged by that user, we would recommend not upgrading the priority at all. 

I have, however, entered in an internal feature request for this - the reference id for that request is: OGS-3717. I can't guarantee that this is something that we will be adding to the product, but I've added your feedback to the request's notes, and our product team will evaluate it.

Hopefully that helps to answer your questions, but please let me know if there's anything else I can assist with. Thanks!

Justin

Carsten Häusler June 11, 2021

Hello Justin,

thanks for you answer.

My question was really in regards to the responder alerts, not alerts in general. In our case, we create incidents automatically depending on other alerts that are coming in.
Then, there is one person managing the incident and it is kind of annoying that with every priority upgrade he/she gets another notification/call.

Thanks for filing the feature request!

KR Carsten

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events