Difference between No-one and empty?

Stefan Draber February 25, 2022

Hi all,

I'm planning a schedule for a team which wants to receive alerts during business hours, but not during off-hours and weekends.

Does it make a difference whether I

1. only create a business-hours rotation restricted to 9am-5pm or
  2. additionally to 1 create an off-hours rotation with the user "No-one" as only participant restricted to 5pm to 9am and weekends?

Or, in other words, do I have to assign unattended times to the user "No-one" for some reason or can I simply leave them empty?

Thanks and best regards,

Stefan

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 25, 2022

Hi @Stefan Draber ,

You can simply leave the after hours blank without having to fill them with the option of No-one, and realistically only need to configure a business hours rotation.

No-one helps sometimes in situations when users are on-call every other week, or something similar - so No-one can be used to fill the void. 

Stefan Draber February 25, 2022

Hi @Nick H ,

perfect, thanks for your quick response.

Does No-one have any other technical function besides being that kind of a placeholder?

Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 25, 2022

"While adding an override, you can also specify No-One as the user option. In this case, nobody will be on-call for the selected rotations during the configured time range." https://support.atlassian.com/opsgenie/docs/override-an-on-call-schedule/

^ No-one can be added as an override for holidays or something like that when no users should be on-call.

Like # people like this
Donny Gison April 2, 2022

Hi @Nick H , 

This is helpful, I have an additional question, does the above mean no one will receive the notification alert but Opsgenie can still create the alert, from 5Pm for example. 

We have a similar situation, we want to not notify people at a specific period but when their shift starts, say at 9Am the next day, we want them to check Opsgenie alerts and check if there are still open alerts. So they can action.  

Stefan Draber April 4, 2022

Hi @Donny Gison 

the alert will be created, even if nobody is going to receive a notification. Alert creation and notfication are independent from each other.

If you want to be notified at the beginning of your shift, there is a feature called "Notification policies" in the Standard and Enterprise plans. You'll find it under Teams > [YourTeam] > Policies.

Opsgenie.PNG

Like Donny Gison likes this
Donny Gison April 4, 2022

Thanks @Stefan Draber 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events