Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delaying notifications on OpsGenie

Dan Allenby January 7, 2022

Hi All,

Is it possible to delay notifications on Ops genie going to the on-call engineer for a period of time.  We monitor a lot of websites and have an integration from Pingdom built into Ops Genie.  We have noticed that we have a lot of blips that are less than a minute however these are notifying our on-call throughout the night.

I know you can delay the notifications, however if the alarm goes out of alarm during that time, will it still alarm after the delayed time has passed?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 7, 2022

Hi @Dan Allenby ,

Notification policies can be used to delay / suppress notifications. If the alert auto-resolves Itself within the time the alert is delayed/suppressed, no users will be notified. But if the alert remains open after the time has expired (10 minutes for example), users will be notified.

https://support.atlassian.com/opsgenie/docs/create-and-manage-team-alert-policies/#Notification-Policy

Based on what you mentioned above, your notification policy might look something like this:

np1.jpg

Thanks @Nick H that is exactly what i am after.  However, i dont appear to have the same view to build a policy.  

Screenshot 2022-01-07 at 15.12.13.png

Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 7, 2022

I should have mentioned that notification policies are only available on the Opsgenie Standard and Enterprise plans (or JSM Premium and Enterprise plans).

Your UI shows you are either on an Opsgenie Free / Essentials plan (or JSM Standard).

np2.jpg

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
Leo Edano August 14, 2023

Hi Nick,

How come i dont have that feature when adding a policy? I think we're using an Enterprise plan.

delay.png

Nick H
Atlassian Team
August 15, 2023

@Leo Edano ,

It looks like you are trying to add an alert policy instead of a notification policy.

Both should be included with your plan. Alert policies are used to modify alerts, while notification policies are used to delay / suppress alerts.

Important to note that notification policies can only be added from under a team's Policies tab. 

0 votes
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2022

Hi @Dan Allenby 

Notifications will be sent 

Were Notifications Delayed (13)?
If a matching Notification Policy delays Notifications, a delay event is triggered. When the time set for the delay ends (14), the flow continues.

https://support.atlassian.com/opsgenie/docs/alert-notifications-flow/

Thanks,
Pramodh

Thanks @Pramodh M thats a shame!  il see if i can amend this another way to only allow us to get alarms if the alert has been active for 10 minutes or more

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events