Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a single team to reference when creating alert to notify multiple teams

Dietrich Lehr February 12, 2020

We have numerous teams that are set up in OpsGenie, but have a use case for severe issues where we'd like to create a single alert and notify ALL those teams at once based on their on-call schedule. This is easy to do by referencing each team individually, but that leaves room for error and takes more time. I want to reference ONE team (more like a group of teams) when creating a manual alert that reaches all of them.

Example: When creating an alert, I put TheATeam as the responder...which then alerts Team1, Team2, Team3, Team4 on call members.

What is the simplest way to do this in OpsGenie?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dietrich Lehr February 19, 2020

I actually with with a Global Policy Alert in which a keyword triggers an alert to multiple responders.

Emirhan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 27, 2020

Great news! @Dietrich Lehr 

This is also another work-around to reach what you've been looking for - glad to see that you've managed it! 

1 vote
Emirhan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 13, 2020

Hello @Dietrich Lehr , 

Thank you for contacting Opsgenie Community!

When you are adding responders to the alerts, in the advanced settings of integrations, you can also add schedules/escalation policies as a responder. On the other hand, by using escalation policies, you can route alerts to different teams with "route to team" escalation policy feature. 

That being said, you can create a dummy team along with a new escalation policy, which will route alerts to multiple teams - see attached. 

image (3).png

After that configuration, you can add the escalation policy you freshly created as a responder to one of your integration's create alert rule. Rule of thumb, the integration needs to be assigned to no-one, which means, it needs to be a global. The configuration below would help you to send alerts to multiple teams in specific conditions. image (4).png

Do you think this kind of solution would help your use-case?

Let me know if anything else is needed, would be happy to assist!

Emirhan from Opsgenie Support

0 votes
Theis Joergensen January 5, 2022

@Emirhan  Hi Emirhan, 

I tried this but found some issues with this approach. 

Firstly, the responder team in the alert will remain as the "dummy team" until manually changed. 

Secondly with this approach the routing rules is overridden. 

In my case i have a P5 alert coming in to the dummy group forwarding to two teams where one is set to match all alerts and the other only if greater than P4. 

Both teams where notified even though it was a P5. 

Is there a way to disable the feature that OpsGenie accumulate incoming request with same name and instead create them individually so i can have multiple integrations for different groups receiving the same ticket from JSM?

Brgds

Theis

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events