Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Incidents from Slack

Paul Van Liew April 1, 2022

Hey folks,

Does anyone have a working solution to creating Incidents in OpsGenie from Slack? Pagerduty has a Slack App where this is possible, at the standard tier.

It appears as though with Opsgenie, even if you spring to Enterprise to get advanced incident management, which also unlocks the "Opsgenie for Incident Management" Slack App (that is not available to Standard subscriptions), that app still doesn't allow creating incidents from slack, just create incident slack channels. Weak sauce.

So we have to craft our own bot and tie in APIs, etc. and make a Slack app to connect to that, just to be able to create an incident via Slack? How is this not in the default app, and only alert interaction?

Anyone have anything doing this already? Rootly's pricing is silly just to make this possible, when the rest of their incident platform isn't wanted (because Opsgenie has it, just no Slack incident creation!)

Cheers

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Paul Van Liew April 7, 2022

Just so folks know, if they come across this question - Atlassian is moving all Incident workflow into JSM, so Opsgenie Incidents are basically deprecated.

JSM and Opsgenie integrations are also broken during this change, nothing exists except for create an alert in Opsgenie, same as Jira, no incidents. They pride themselves in having a pop-out link to Opsgenie, that they put back in the UI as a concession to customers annoyed at them breaking all integrations.

So none of this will be sorted out anytime soon, it will be 1yr+ for JSM to get Incident management parity anywhere near Opsgenie (which as poor to begin with), and everything is manual in the meantime, and who knows where Opsgenie falls in any of this.

Good luck everyone. If I am forced to make a Slack App, I'll share it. But likely we'll take our $100,000 in licensing to Pagerduty first, because it integrates with Jira and Slack better than Atlassian's own products.

Tien June 12, 2023

Hi @Paul Van Liew , out of curiosity, what did you end up doing?

I came across your question, funny enough, this is the same question our engineering team is considering at the moment.  Would love to hear your thoughts.

mkurde October 16, 2023

I am in the same situation and looking forward to a solution. If @Paul Van Liew could share his solution would be awesome.

0 votes
Ananth Radhakrishnan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 27, 2022

Hi @Paul Van Liew 

I'm from the Atlassian product team that looks at chat & collaboration experiences for operations teams using JSM and OpsGenie.

Firstly, I wanted to say I completely understand your frustration here that this capability isn't supported today 

If it's any consolation, the 'create incident' shortcut is something we are actively exploring for development. If you would be open to it, I would love to get your feedback on this - we are very actively looking to improve our overall collaboration experience for incident response.

If you'd be interested, could you drop me a note at aradhakrishnan@atlassian.com?

mkurde October 16, 2023

Reading this more than one year later, reading "actively exploring for development" is a pure joke.

Peter Soncek
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 14, 2023

Is this still being explored?  From what I can see this feature still does not exist in OpsGenie.

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2022

Hi @Paul Van Liew,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

You could take a look at JSM, it includes Atlassian Assist that allows you create requests from Slack, including incidents. And if you are on JSM Premium the ICC and creation of the Incident Slack channel happens directly within the request.

So we'd need to buy JSM, configure (hopefully integrate) services, incidents, etc., then connect Atlassian Assist (which the real Slack integration with JSM is behind a beta request), so Slack can go to JSM which can trigger Opsgenie (alert is appears, so hopefully I can do even more work to make a custom workflow and webhook to create an incident). I want nothing to do with JSM, incident management is already in Opsgenie.  This is bonkers. Thanks for the pointer, anywho.

Like mkurde likes this
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2022

Opsgenie does have a bidirectional integration with Slack, but you cannot create incidents, it only allows you to create alerts from it, see Integrate Opsgenie with Slack App for more info.

Yes, and so we are back at the beginning. This simple feature alone is worth switching to Pagerduty.

Alper Cugun March 17, 2023

Just using it for alerts might be the ticket. I'm getting the vibe that incidents are not really the thing anyway in Opsgenie.

Even then the Slack command to do this is pretty awkward.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events