cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Rotation Participants starting from their NEXT rotation

Michael Edwards January 10, 2022

Given a rotation: (ignore the override)
before.png

Can I remove the blue participant s without modifying any of the rotation prior to their next rotation?

In particular this is annoying because right now the current rotation is ended and the next rotation starts EVEN THOUGH THESE ROTATIONS ARE NOT IMPACTED BY THE REMOVAL OF THE BLUE PARTICIPANT. Even with the override, you can see the shifts moving around even though they should not be impacted by the removal of the participant.
after.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2022

Hi @Michael Edwards ,

When a user is removed from a rotation, that rotation will be rebuilt with the remaining users from the Start Date set on the rotation.

So, in some cases, this can cause an issue where the dates/times for users left in the schedule are shifted. To avoid this when editing a rotation, it's best to reset the Start Date to a day/time that reflects which user should be on-call, and then to double check that the Final Schedule matches what you're intending:

sched11.jpg

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I reset the "Start on" date to the start of the current rotation and it looks good. Importantly (and probably the reason most people don't touch the start date), historical rotation information was preserved.

This worked because J was first in the participants list already, but if it was someone further into the rotation list I would have to figure out the right start date in the past to ensure the current participant remained on call. As a feature request: it should be possible for Opsgenie to automatically determine this for me (or hide the complexity entirely).

Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2022

Glad that worked! I believe newer schedules have this functionality, but I don't think it applied to older schedules that were created before this was rolled out. For example:

sched12.jpgsched13.jpg

^ You'll notice the order of the participants in my second screenshot was automatically rearranged to reflect who is on-call after User 2 was removed.

:-O

I want this. Where can I track changes like this where I need to recreate existing configurations to get cool new features?

Nick H
Atlassian Team
January 11, 2022

Engineering will typically create an in-app announcement for new features that can be viewed here in your Opsgenie:

ann1.jpg

A badge icon will appear for new announcements. You can also subscribe to these under your Notifications tab to receive emails as well:

ann2.jpg

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events