Auto close or do not alert on CloudWatch Alarms

Paul Donnelly January 30, 2023

Hi,

I have set up an AWS CloudWatch integration with OpsGenie.

I am receiving alerts that I don't want to receive. When a CloudWatch alarms goes from INSUFFICENT to OK I get an alert in OpsGenie. Is there a way to stop these alerts?

I currently have close alert configured like this but it doesn't seem to work

Capture.PNG

The description basically contains part of the alarm description I receive into OpsGenie

Is there anything else I should try?

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Paul Donnelly February 1, 2023

In the end I set up an ignore rule for any alarms that have a status of OK and this stopped the recovery alerts coming in 

2 votes
Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 30, 2023

Hi @Paul Donnelly ,

If these CloudWatch requests are creating alerts instead of closing them - then you will want to review the Create Alert action / which condition(s) is matching.

All integration actions are processed in an order of operations from top >> down. Opsgenie will use the first matching action - so in this case it sounds like Opsgenie is being told to create an alert before it has the chance to review the close action / filter.

For more on that: https://support.atlassian.com/opsgenie/docs/use-advanced-integration-settings/

You should also be able to simplify and consolidate that Close action's filter to something like this using regex:

awscw1.jpg

Paul Donnelly January 31, 2023

Thanks Nick

Does the alarm description have to match exactly? The reason I ask is that these alarms start with the same description but then can vary each time they come as they have different environment names or machine names

For example one alarm could come in as ScheduleUpgrade-dev-12345

Next time it could be SchedlueUpgrade-prod-56789

Is it OK to set the alarm description as ScheduleUpgrade

EDIT: I tried the alarm description as  ScheduleUpgrade but I still got an alert. 

Is there a wildcard option I can use? Something like  ScheduleUpgrade-*

Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 1, 2023

You should be able to use regex in that case.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events