Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-close an incident when no related alerts are active

Alessandro Pistola August 23, 2021

Dear all,

I was wondering if there is an automatic method to close an incident when all of its alerts are closed, currently I am doing this "by hand" meaning that through the API, when an alert is being closed, I check whether or not the incident has active alerts and if it has not, I close the incident as well as the alert.
I noticed that it this way, sometimes, for example when I close 2 alerts consequently, due to the asynchronous nature of the Opsgenie API, the result of the count API call is not always consistent and I had to set a delay of 2 seconds to make it worked properly.

Is there someone that has already faced this problem and came up with a more elegant solution?

Thanks in advance,
Alessandro

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Justin Sitarz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 24, 2021

Hi Alessandro, 

Justin here, from Opsgenie support - happy to help!

Unfortunately, I think the way you're doing this currently is probably one of the better options, as there is not a way to automatically close incidents out when all of the responder alerts are closed (though we do have a feature request for that - request id AG-347, for reference). And, as you mentioned, due to the asynchronous processing of requests, there may be a second or two delay between the close alert request being made and the actual alert being closed out - necessitating a small delay on your end when checking if the count of open responder alerts for your incident is zero.

The hope would be that we enable some built in functionality to address this use case - so what I can recommend is checking in with Opsgenie support (either through the in-app chat or through the Atlassian support portal) on the status of the request periodically, referencing the ID above.

Hopefully that helps to answer your question, but please do let me know if you have any others, or if there's anything else we can assist with. Thanks!

Justin S.

Opsgenie Support

Alex John September 5, 2023

Has there been progress here over in the last 2 years?  Has a more elegant solution been created?

Chris DeGidio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 6, 2023

Hi there @Alex John We have a public feature request logged for this and it is currently in the reviewing stage. This generally means Engineer ack's the desire and request for this feature and is assessing it for it to be included in a dev cycle.

You can vote and signup for notifications for future updates on this here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/OPSGENIE-131 

Thanks so much!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events