Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alias field

Sanchit Aggarwal November 19, 2019

Hi Team,

I am new to this OpsGenie tool and I want to stop duplication of alerts receiving through emails. Everytime a new alert appear, It will create new alert.

When a ticket is created in JIRA, It will updated in Opsgenie also but when an alert is created in opsgenie, new ticket is not created in JIRA.

Please help me out in these matters.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2019

Is your Jira cloud, or on prem? That will impact how the process works.

In general, you have to think of this as two different integrations. 

Jira -> OpsGenie. In this case, When a Jira ticket is created, it sends a notification to opsgenie to reach out to the on call user. But the ticket itself is (usually) managed in Jira

OpsGenie -> Jira. In this case, some other integration in opsgenie creates an incident in opsgenie, and that alert creates a jira ticket. In this case, you can may manage the initial response in opsgenie, but do follow up in jira. (it all depends on what you want to do)

What you want to be careful of is trying to use both at the same time, so you don't end up in a loop. 

So the real question is what do you want to do?

Sanchit Aggarwal November 21, 2019

Hey,

I am using JIRA server.

I integrated my opsgenie with email integration to create alerts according to emails and after that alerts need to create ticket in JIRA.

Here alerts are created with emails but JIRA is not creating tickets according to alerts. I have also generated API token for integration but still it is not working.

Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2019

Is your Jira Server reachable from the internet? If so you should be able to set up an integration in opsgenie directly at

https://app.opsgenie.com/integration#/add/Jira

There is a section there where you will need to enter the URL and login credentials of your jira server. Opsgenie will then make API calls to your server directly to create and manage issues.

If your Jira Server is not available from the internet, as an additional step you will need to run a process called OEC on your jira server. This is a "edge connector" or proxy that makes an outbound connection to Opsgenie, listens for events that are sent to it. https://docs.opsgenie.com/docs/oec-overview

(there used to be a product called "marid" that did the same thing, I am more familar with marid then OEC, though I guess I will need to upgrade at some point.

Sanchit Aggarwal December 2, 2019

Hey, 

I referred this document and not able to achieve anything. This document is a bit confusing. 

Do you have any other way to integrate JIRA?

Kate Clavet
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 2, 2019
0 votes
Kate Clavet
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 20, 2019

Hi @Sanchit Aggarwal Andrew makes a great point. Be sure that the way that you set up the integration makes sense for your use case. Use the action mapping portion of the integration set up, so that you're not creating an Opsgenie alert for every Jira Issue. If you're using Cloud, this is what it looks like for both Jira and JSD: 

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 2.22.15 PM.png

Hopefully what @Andrew Laden and I write makes sense, let us know! :) 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events