I have a weird behavior from Opsgenie Android application on my smartphone since few month now, where notification sound suddenly stop after few seconds.
My setup is as follow:
* I have a custom ringtone set in opsgenie app
* I enabled "play notification max volume", "persistent notification"
* Rules: Uppon alert, I have the notification sound directly, then SMS 2 min after, then call.
* I live with phone in vibrate and rely on "play sound at max volume" to wake me up during the night or catch my attention in the day
What I expect (and that was indeed what was working last year):
* I keep my phone in "vibrate" mode
* When an alert is received, opsgenie removes vibrate mode and plays continuously notification sound at max volume
* If I don't pick up, I can here the SMS sound 2 min after at max volume too (because notification is still playing)
=> Notification sound stops when I ack or pick the phone then phone goes back in vibrate mode.
What happens now (I noticed this during an alert 2 month ago I think, and I can reproduce at will by creating alerts on my own):
* Phone is in "vibrate" mode, as always
* When alert is received, opsgenie removes vibrate mode and plays notification at max volume, but only for 20s approximately.
* After that, opsgenie puts the telephone in "silent" mode (so, not even vibrate)
* Nothing happens after that (no notif sound, and because of silent mode, sms and call remain silent) -> because opsgenie put the phone in silent.
I tried several things as I can reproduce:
* during all tests I kept the phone still on a stable face down to avoid Android messing with the possibility I was on my phone
* with and without "Do not disturb" Android mode -> same
* keep the phone with volume set to a normal level for ringtone/notification ("normal" mode) -> same (phone goes into silent even in that config)
* tried several custom notification sounds (5s ones, 5min ones, ....) -> same
* tried to remove persistent notif in opsgenie app -> same
* tried to remove "play at max volume" in opsgenie app -> the issue does not reproduce (sound plays indefinitely in that case)
So my mitigation for now is to live with phone in "normal" mode but it's very annoying because I need to think to switch it back in that mode before going to bed or going in a noisy env.
I think there is a regression somewhere because it used to work and today's behavior is clearly not expected. Note that this setup works for some of my colleagues so I don't know exactly where is the problem.
Tested phones (both failing now):
* A5 2017 (it used to work on that phone, then it started to not work 2 month ago I'd say)
* A52 (got it recently and never worked as intended - exact same behavior as A5)
Thanks for your help!
I've tried few other things without luck:
* putting back default notification sound in opsgenie app -> same
* removing default battery optim in Android system settings -> same
* removing adaptive notification from Android settings -> same
I'm taking a dump of logs from system when this happens but I have no clear clue in this :(
This article was co-authored by Gavin Cohen of Zebrium. Zebrium has a bi-directional integration with Opsgenie and is a machine learning solution for RCA. We all know the drill. 💤 You'r...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events