Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alert events with same alias but different priority

Daniel Prado Martinez March 23, 2022

In a shot: Does alias uniqueness work systemwide or per priority level?

Explanation: several alert events received from an integration containing the same alias will be assigned to the same alert in OpsGenie. This helps to provide alert de-duplication according to the documentation.

What happens when these alert events have different priorities? Are they assigned to the same alert in OpsGenie?

If this is the case, what is the priority of this alert? First received? Highest received?

Thanks in advance!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 23, 2022

Hi @Daniel Prado Martinez ,

When an alert is deduplicated by another alert of higher priority, the deduplicated alert’s priority is increased and its notification flow is restarted. But deduplication cannot downgrade an alert's priority - only increase it.

This means we would receive a second notification when the alert's priority is increased, correct?

Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 23, 2022

Yes, that's correct. Here's an example of an alert being deduplicated wit ha higher priority:

ded2.jpg

Thanks!

Like Nick H likes this
Fernandez, David June 13, 2022

Hi @Nick H , 

for me it's not working.

I have an alert definitions prometheus like

- alert: Alert
annotations:
description: Alert description
summary: Alert summary
expr: promql query
for: 5m
labels:
priority: P2

this alert come to OpsGenie with a P2, everything fine.

then I have the same alert, but after 15min should be a P1

- alert: Alert
annotations:
description: Alert description
summary: Alert summary
expr: promql query
for: 15m
labels:
priority: P1

In OpsGenie, I never see any P1 for this alert, I can see the counter increase for the P2, but it never turns into a P1.

Any Idea ? 

0 votes
Lucas Eduardo August 16, 2023

In my case, I noticed that when the alert priority increases from P3 to P2, for example, my automatic incident creation configuration is not triggered.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events