Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access to all alerts

michael_stefansen October 24, 2021

Hi Community

We are using OpsGenie as our on-call tool, for distributing alerts from our monitoring systems to our on-call-personel.

We don't send everything, as that would create quite a load on our on-call-personal, but we send the alerts that we have defined as business critical and needs attention.

My question is, can I see all the other alerts somewhere in OpsGenie, as we basically sends every alert to OpsGenie and then sorts them in OpsGenie, to match the alerts we have defined as on-call alerts.

Can I see severity "Warning" alerts anywhere in OpsGenie and can I Close these manually if needed?

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

1 vote
Samir
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 25, 2021

Hi @michael_stefansen ,

It really depends on which alerts you're sending to Opsgenie. If you setup your integrations so all alerts from your monitoring tools are sent to Opsgenie, you can then set-up action rules within the integration in Opsgenie to only create alerts in Opsgenie for alerts received that match certain conditions.

Or you could set it up so all alerts sent to Opsgenie will create an alert in Opsgenie, but leverage routing rules and/or notification policies on the teams these alerts go to, so only specific alerts actually notify users 

There's a lot of flexibility of what you can do with alerts in Opsgenie, and which alerts will be created, which will notify users, etc. so your question of "Can I see severity "Warning" alerts anywhere in OpsGenie and can I Close these manually if needed?" depends on if you're sending these alerts to an integration in Opsgenie, and how you have that integration configured.

Hope this helps! 

Thanks,

Samir

michael_stefansen October 26, 2021

Hi Samir

I believe that we already did quite an effort to get everything into OpsGenie and then use action-rules/routing rules, but it unfortunately doesn't seem to be straight forward. 

Is there a very explanatory guide somewhere, that goes through these topics with different examples, that shows how to leverage all the possibilities?

I don't believe the links in your earlier answer is very explanatory :-(

Thanks in advance.

Samir
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 26, 2021

Hi @michael_stefansen ,

There isn't any sort of guide or document that goes through all possibilities, as there are many ways you can configure alerts in Opsgenie, depending on your use-case and how you want alerts created/to notify.

You may want to reach out to support via support.atlassian.com so we can get more info from you on how you want this to be set-up, and can access your account to see how it's working currently. We don't have any other documentation on action rules/routing rules outside of the documents specific to those topics.

The idea with integration action rules is you can set-up filters for which requests sent to the integration will be ignored, Create an Alert, Close an Alert, etc. 

So when the source sends a request to the integration, it processes through those action rules top-down, and follows the first one whose filter it matches.

This allows you to set-up filters so only certain requests sent to the integration can create alerts. e.g.

2021-10-26_08-45-48.png

In this example, any email sent to this integration will create an alert only if the subject of the email contains "Server Down". This is an example of using integration action rules to filter for which requests will create alerts in Opsgenie.

Once an integration in Opsgenie creates the alert, it goes to teams from there, and follows the routing rules on the team which can route the alerts directly to an on-call schedule, to an escalation policy, or to no one (if you don't want anyone notified of particular alerts). This community post goes over the different options you can leverage with routing rules.

Thanks,

Samir

Like # people like this
Michael Stefansen October 26, 2021

Thanks Samir

I believe that answers my questions - I'll be looking into that :-)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events