On-Call Best Practices for Notifications

When configuring Opsgenie to notify multiple users regarding the same alert, there are a couple of approaches to setting this up effectively. For example, multiple responders can be added on an integration based on the incoming alert.  When looking for a general, role-based way to notify multiple users, the Central Notification Template would be the best practice for this use case. Using CNT can help prevent tedious work when configuring the same notification rules for each user receiving the same notification for an alert.

The Central Notification Template feature can be found under the App Settings(

Only Owner/Admins can see this setting).

Opsgenie_-_Settings.png

You can choose from an Owner, Admin, non admin or a custom role.

Opsgenie_-_Settings-2.png

Take note that multiple central notification templates are not allowed to be applied to the same user roles. When the central notification template is enabled, the users affiliated by their role to this setting cannot edit or modify their personal notification rules. This is an aspect that users can overlook when attempting to edit their notification rules. Users can still edit their contact method after CNT is enabled.

For more information on configuring the Central Notification Template, you can check out the document below:

https://docs.opsgenie.com/docs/central-notification-templates

2 comments

Amit Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2019

Hey Mark -

Thanks for featuring this! I had no idea this was there!

While I understand and appreciate the need for a feature like this, I think there could be some value for a particular user being able to add their own Notification Rules in addition to the Templated one, for example with some specific filters that modify the behavior. And the templated be left as the default option(s) after the user-defined one. However if the user doesn't need additional specifications, then it'd can just use the template default.

Thanks again!

Like Mark Campbell-Vincent likes this
Mark Campbell-Vincent
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 18, 2019

Hi @Amit Kumar -

We do have a feature request regarding Custom CNT Notifications that aligns with the use case you suggested. I will make sure to add you to it. Thanks for your feedback!

Like Amit Kumar likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events