Introducing Postmortems for Opsgenie

When incidents happen, it is crucial to diagnose and solve the problem as fast as possible. Equally important to this, teams need a way to reflect on why the incident occurred and how they can improve their response in the future, i.e., they need to learn from their mistakes. Postmortem reports play a huge part in this process.

As a part of our Incident Management feature set, we are excited to introduce postmortems for Opsgenie!

Understand what led to the incident and how it is resolved

When an incident is resolved, postmortems can also take up a lot of time to prepare - even more than resolving the problem. Opsgenie allows you to easily create postmortems by loading a template prefilled with your incident data.

The template includes the sections that you can capture the key points of the incident, such as incident's impact, actions taken to mitigate or resolve the incident, and the root cause. These sections can be modified according to your needs.

Postmortems in Opsgenie also leverage Incident Timelines and the timeline of your incident is automatically included in the report for you to review and make necessary edits before publishing.

postmortem_example.png

Make sure your follow-up tasks are listed and prioritized

Peacetime is a great opportunity to improve your infrastructure and response processes since your main priority will be dealing with the incident during wartime. Doing a thorough postmortem after the incident resolution will help you clarify what you should work on during peacetime to mitigate occurrences of the incidents.

You can easily link Jira issues right from your postmortem report and navigate to the issue details in Jira by simply clicking on the issue. This allows you to make sure that the follow-up tasks are communicated with the related stakeholders and your teams are aware of the prioritized tasks and what should they work on in the given timeframe.

Pasted_image_at_2019-04-26__5_13_PM.png

If you are creating postmortems manually or struggling to share relevant incident details with your stakeholders, give Opsgenie a try and see how to:

• Save time and effort compiling incident postmortems
  • Ensure that all of the relevant incident history is captured in your reports
  • Share your learnings and next steps with your team and stakeholders

Try it out and and let us know what you think!

13 comments

Peter Leclercq September 26, 2019

How can one share the postmortem with OG "stakeholders" or external people (not users of OG)? There is no download/export button and the browser print function will not allow you to show all information (such as timeline and details - incident duration) on the document. 

Like Anthony Moreno likes this
Kate Clavet
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 6, 2019

Hi there Peter, 

We've recently introduced a new feature for Postmortems that allow you to export them to Confluence. Here's more information: https://www.atlassian.com/blog/opsgenie/shareable-postmortems-in-opsgenie

Peter Leclercq November 7, 2019

Hi @Kate Clavet Thanks for pointing out the new feature. Unfortunately it doesn't work with me. I tried exporting existing postmortems and I still only have the delete button. Does it only work with newly created ones? Sound a bit limiting, but perhaps I am doing something wrong. (I did install the Confluence timeline app).

Screenshot 2019-11-07 15.10.30.png

Kate Clavet
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 7, 2019

Hi @Peter Leclercq did you purchase your Opsgenie account from Opsgenie.com? or via the Jira Admin panel? 

Thanks! 

Kate 

Peter Leclercq November 7, 2019

@Kate Clavet Directly via Opsgenie.com back in the days of the Jira Ops trial.

Kate Clavet
Atlassian Team
November 7, 2019

@Peter Leclercq Yes so in this case, exporting is available to folks who have purchased via the Jira Admin panel. We are working to roll this out to all Opsgenie accounts in the future. 

Thiago_Carvalho_Galvão April 17, 2020

How do I link or post-mortem my status done from jira?

Dorian Peake October 7, 2020

@Kate ClavetI purchased Opsgenie as part of my atlassian suite a few weeks ago and I'm unable to export to Confluence. There is an export to confluence option, but the dropdown menu for spaces has no entries.

Screenshot 2020-10-07 at 11.52.54.png

Kate Clavet
Atlassian Team
October 7, 2020

HI @Dorian Peake when you start to type a letter, so spaces populate? Let me know how this goes! 

Martin Wallgren November 4, 2020

We are considering setting up Opsgenie for our incident management, but I can't find any information about exporting postmortems to self hosted confluence instances.

Is it possible to export postmortems to self hosted confluence sites (via Opsgenie Edge Connector)?

Kate Clavet
Atlassian Team
November 9, 2020

@Martin Wallgren , hi there and thanks for your question. 

This is currently only available for those using Confluence Cloud and Opsgenie, it's not currently available for self-hosted Confluence. 

Best,

Kate 

Like Martin Wallgren likes this
fabien-ruffin February 9, 2021

@Kate Clavet I had the same issue as Dorian Peake above and your suggestion did work for me.

Feature request: I have to say that this UX is extremely confusing. I spent quite some time checking my integrations, to try to figure out why my spaces were not showing in the list. An easy fix would be to say "Start typing to get suggestions" instead of "No options" in that drop-down list.

Like Gautam Vij likes this
Kate Clavet
Atlassian Team
February 9, 2021

@fabien-ruffin Thanks for the feedback. You raise some really helpful points, I'll pass this along to the team. 

Best,

Kate 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events