Opsgenie Best Practices Wednesday-Routing Rules, Escalation Policies, and On-Call Schedules

Samir
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 6, 2019

A common aspect of Opsgenie users don't immediately understand is how Routing Rules, Escalation Policies, and On-Call Schedules work together.

When an alert goes to a team, the first thing it checks is the routing rules on that team to determine where it should go. The Best Practice in this case is to have your routing rules send the alerts to escalation policies, which define who will be notified. Typically the first step in the escalation policy is to notify on-call users in a schedule. Below is an example of how you can setup routing rules to send alerts to different escalations.

Opsgenie_-_Team_Dashboard.png

Here, you can see that the first routing rule checks to see if the alert has Priority = P1. If it does, it routes it to the "Samir_Critical_Escalation". If it doesn't = P1, it goes on to check if the alert is coming in between 6pm-9am M-F, or on the weekends, if it is then it will be routed to "Samir After Hours Escalation"

If it doesn't match that either, it will be routed to "Samir_NonCritical_Escalation". Each of these escalation policies has different steps in who it will notify, and how long it will wait in between each step. This allows you to escalate high priority alerts more aggressively to ensure that they are being resolved quickly, as compared to non-critical alerts that come in after hours which you might only want to notify someone on-call.

Hope this helps!

6 comments

mkcello96 March 13, 2019

Hi @Samir - I was wondering if you had any info on the "round robin" escalation protocol? I chatted with you a bit on another thread - I'm part of an on-call rotation that would like to implement the following:

If an alert is missed by the primary on call individual, it is escalated to the rest of the team in a random order, until someone acknowledges it. We don't want to use the "escalate to random" feature because it doesn't guarantee that the alert will be routed to a new person each time.

Like Andrey Ginger likes this
Sam Erde April 30, 2019

A great starting point. Knowing the best way to approach this flow really helps with initial configuration!

Like # people like this
Michael_Miller April 25, 2020

I am in total agreement with Mr. Erde. Great first baby steps. And it was easy to digest.

Like Andrey Ginger likes this
Shashi_Bhandari June 10, 2020

Hah?

pankaj roy June 29, 2020

k

bayera jones July 29, 2020

Hi everybody I am new in this think so I hope we have a good time

tuhumure mutembezi December 24, 2020

i am new here

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders