Opsgenie Best Practices Wednesday-Notification Policies

Kate Clavet
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 27, 2019

Hey there! Another "Best Practices Wednesday" is upon us, I thought this would be a good time to show you a useful way to handle P4 Low and P5 Informational alerts off hours. The goal of alerting and on-call management is to ensure that alerts reach the right people, at the right time while minimizing alert fatigue. One way to do that is to ensure that folks don't have to deal with P4 and P5 alerts off hours, especially since such low priority alerts often don't need to be triaged right away. 

Once in your account, from the Teams dashboard, click the "Policies" tab. Scroll to Notification Policies. Click "Add Policy." In the screenshot below, you'll see I've created an Off Hours Policy, that will delay P4 and P5 alerts from 18:00 to 07:45. 

Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 3.41.32 PM.png

I've restricted it to off hours, and ensured it will be delayed until business hours resume, as seen in the screenshot below: 

Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 3.41.44 PM.png

You can also set to auto restart, auto close, etc... Simply click "Create Policy" to finalize. I find this is a great way to reduce off hours fatigue around alerts that just don't need immediate attention when no one is in the office. 

What are some ways you reduce alert fatigue for yourself or your team? 

1 comment

David Dumas March 16, 2022

Teams dashboard, click the "Policies" tab - When I click on "teams" at the top, I see a list of teams, but no "policies" tab.

???

Kate Clavet
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 30, 2022

Hi @David Dumas the UI has changed since we posted this article. Click into the team for which you want to alter the policies, and then you will see the policies tab! Let me know if you still have trouble. 

Thanks,
Kate 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events