Noticed an answer I posted was removed. Did I do something wrong?

Tim Perrault
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2022

Hi All,

I noticed one of my answers was removed. Is there a link someone can provide on general guidance around helping? I hope I didn't do anything wrong.

Thanks,

Tim

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2022

Hi @Tim Perrault 

If you look in this group you will find threads with ideas on answering from community leaders and others: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Atlassian-Answerers/gh-p/Answerers

For marketplace vendors, here is more guidance: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Atlassian-Community-online-guidelines-for-Marketplace-and/ba-p/689723

My personal guide-rails for trying to help are:

• be polite
  • seek to understand the problem/question when answering
  • if selling something as a marketplace vendor, state that up front (and, I'm not a vendor)
  • if there is an existing thread/documentation answering a question, direct people to that
  • when out of ideas to help, admit that and suggest waiting for others to help and/or to contact Atlassian support

Kind regards,
Bill

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2022

@Tim Perrault  I'd guess you've probably not done anything wrong too.

@Bill Sheboy 's list is a great friendly summary of how not to make someone think "oh, that needs to go", but there are some other reasons an answer might be removed, including (but not limited to)

• Mod thinks it's a duplicate/repeat of another answer
  • It's a comment or response to an answer that is removed for some reason (your post might have been absolutely fine, but the removal of the answer scrubs the responses to it as well)
  • Mod has spotted a troll or other abuse, and while your answer is perfectly fine, they're going with "do not feed the trolls"

Moderators broadly have three places we can move things to, Removed, Spam and total-delete. 

I don't know the rules on who has total-delete.  I do, for some stuff, but I think I've only ever used it when something from a non-spam user is highly offensive, and I can't remove it because of the current bug that some leaders have with moving stuff.  (And my own posts a couple of times when I've written really badly and want to start over)

I had a quick look, and the only things you've got in "moderation" are your (valid) reports of abuse, so my instinct is that you've suffered a removal because someone else was being bad.

Like # people like this
Tim Perrault
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 16, 2022

Thanks so much @Bill Sheboy @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- those are very helpful tips. I don't think I violated any guidelines or anything. Maybe a duplicate?

Really just trying to help here. Let's me keep my skills up by answering questions. Plus all the users I have encountered have been really nice. Gives me a little smile when I know somebodies issue was resolved. Not too mention those kudos point :)

Thanks,

Tim

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events