Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Atlassian alternative servers

Yohan Ori October 19, 2020

As Atlassian plans to end server support, we do not want to move to either DC or Cloud.

So now we are looking for alternate options for Atlassian servers like Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, Bamboo, Fisheye & Crowd.

Please share the details if you have any information.

Thanks in advanced.

7 answers

4 accepted

Suggest an answer

4 votes
Answer accepted
Yiwang Piho October 21, 2020

We are also looking for the same. Alternatives for Jira & Confluence on-premise server.

Please provide the alternative option if you know.

Matthias S. November 4, 2020

We are currently looking into migrating our Confluence content to xwiki -> https://xwiki.com/en/Blog/Confluence-to-XWiki-migration-export-import/

Jira/Bitbucket will probably replaced by gitlab in our company.

Like Rajesh Viswanathan likes this
3 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 20, 2020

Hi Yohan,

Although we've announced plans to end support for Server products, I'd like to highlight that this change isn't happening overnight - in fact there are over 3 years of support ahead for Server products. I understand the desire to plan ahead and look at options.

I'm curious what factors are involved with the hesitancy you have with Data Center or Cloud. We've worked hard to make sure Cloud is ready for most companies, and have several soon-to-be-released features that solve some concerns about using Cloud vs Server, such as data residency options. I'm hoping that I can provide some information that will help with your decision. And if not, knowing your specific concerns will lead to a more informative discussion.

Thanks,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

Yohan Ori October 20, 2020

Hello @Daniel Eads

Thank you for getting in touch with us.

Reason why I am looking for alternatives.

1. You were said that we are promoting CLOUD & also On-premise server will be there. Now you are saying that we are support for On-premise will be expired soon.

It means you are not keeping you own promises.

Because of this, can no longer trust Atlassaion. I don't have any problem that you are promoting CLOUD, but ending support for Server is totally not acceptable.

2. Security and privacy issues guided us to choose server versions for Atlassian applications.

Knowing that our internal and customer's data travel out of our local servers is a bit scary for us.

If you hold On-Premise forever, then I guess I'm going to stay forever with Atlassian.

Like # people like this
petrvokoun October 26, 2020

Hi,

we have the same reasons and the same opinion. We will never share our data on any cloud. Thats why we chose Atlassian few years back. And we stayed even though Atlassian keeps raising the license costs.

Petr

Like # people like this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Evil Dauphin December 3, 2020

We have the same issues, we work for a life sciences company and we are not allowed to use the public cloud. Maybe that will change in the future, but for now and the foreseeable future we plan on keeping our data on-premise.

We chose Atlassian many years ago because it was relatively easy to self-host, so unfortunately we're also looking for alternatives. We're currently trialing SpiraTeam from Inflectra, which is going well so far. 

Not sure what other folks have tried...?

1 vote
Answer accepted
koudis October 26, 2020

So If I understand correctly the Bamboo server will not be suported after 2024? Nice work atlassian, really nice work...

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 26, 2020

@koudis Atlassian has made it clear that they intend to have a Data Center version of Bamboo, and that they won't stop supporting the server version before the Data Center version is available.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Johan March 17, 2021

Hi,

To answer the original question here for alternatives for those of you that are unable to continue using Atlassian's products I would recommend taking a look at Perforce’s product suite. 

For example Hansoft (https://www.perforce.com/products/hansoft), the Agile planning tool with strong focus on planning (Scrum, Gantt, Kanban) and product backlog management. Though some features are similar to Jira, it provides better overview of what is going on (especially cross-projects). It is also easy to install and maintain on-premise.

Best regards,

Johan

0 votes

OK, it's not a technical issue, I was moderated out. Sorry for the inconvenience, I didn't want anything wrong that is not acceptable. Please contact me and tell me what did I do wrong, I can't imagine which rule did I break.

Thank you!

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 11, 2021

Hi Peter - there was nothing wrong in your post, it looks like the automated spam filter here on Community picked it up for some reason. We do check the filter several times a day for false positives - someone released your original message. Sorry for the scare!

Edit: I see your original post was edited a few times right after posting. That seems to trip the filter. For your situation, it was probably for typos or grammar. We do know that the filter (third-party software) seems to categorize that as "posting the same message multiple times", although that wasn't what actually happened.

Oh thank god, I was so worried that I did something wrong. Thank you :) 

0 votes

Dear @Daniel Eads

I will talk about personal usage. I know it's just a hump on the back for you, but this is the way many people get in connection with your products at first. The first opinion.

To give you the answer: why Cloud or DC is not an option for my personal use.

Well... I'm using Home automations and smart-home connections at my own JIRA server. The main points are the following:

Security (both personal and functionality) : I'll NEVER put my SmartHome data to a cloud interface - what if there is no internet connection? My home won't answer because it won't reach the cloud. It MUST be put on a local network not just for data-security, but also for functionality reasons.

Speed: It's also slow - I'm going from one room to another and I should wait seconds to recognize my movement and start the automations? It needs to answer within milliseconds maximum 2 second for a dozen event per second(!). Even to built a connection to a cloud instance takes that time. (again: LAN instead of open internet)

User number: It's just me, my family and the assistant (built in SSO), who's account is used, it's up to 6 person, 8 with technical accounts. I won't buy any DC 500 user license, not even mentionable. Cloud can be a player in this topic.

Size: I'm using Insight for organizing and keeping every documentation (invoices, garantees), creating issues when deadlines are near, ect. These data is more than 1 GB for a year, and I have 3 years documented so far. 2 GB limit is just ... not enough. (locally I have a raid 200 GB just for Jira, and able to expand at a very minimal cost. ) Cloud on the other hand are "planning to enforce storage limits soon" (source: https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/atlassian-cloud-storage-policy-873871366.html) 

Functions: own built apps, integrations, scripts. I won't build a new server just to manage my own cloud application just for me connecting to your cloud. o.O what would be the speed of that infrastructure (theoretical question )

Cost: the very main problem. Server 10$/year is acceptable for these tasks to manage. Not free, but nearly. In this point Cloud is free, so it's the thing, Cloud is better then the current solution. But it fails miserably as soon as it comes to SSO, which is 10$/month, so with this, Cloud is 12X times more expensive then my current solution. I think we shouldn't even mention DC in this topic.

These point are NOT given by cloud or datacenter, so I need to give up everything I built and looking for another company to trust - which I won't of course. I'll buy server license for 2 years, so I have 2 years to migrate everything to a non-Atlassian product. And I'm the saddest because of this decision.
Of course it won't affect my dedication as Atlassian Consultant in my work, and Atlassian is still one of the best tool if they can afford DC or eligible to move to cloud. I understand that too many 10$ license was much more higher support cost and not pays off.

Also it's a shame on me. I'm using your products almost more than a decade both for personal and for company use, but you (Atlassian) just cut my way now for my own instances/personal use. 
UntiI now I was able to show my customers that your tool has so many capabilities that nobody can imagine in a single product and offered so many people/company based on my personal usage and demo. 
Now I won't. :(

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
January 11, 2021

Hey @Peter Cselotei - Lupus Consulting Zrt_ , thank you for writing out the way you're using Jira so well. I love the way you've got Home Automation and your documents organized. I'd agree that Data Center isn't a good fit for that situation, and that shifting to Cloud adds some problems that don't have good solutions right now. I think the speed will get closer to what you need over time, but you make excellent points that even dealing with a lightning-fast system over the internet loses some milliseconds to latency compared with something on your local network.

On the user authentication basis, it is possible to use G Suite as an SSO provider at no cost on our end. I understand that might not be ideal, but it's a possibility. If the time to configure and maintain your user directories and infrastructure locally is factored in, I do think our Cloud offerings are competitive - but I definitely understand that there's a difference for your use-case here between personal and business use. I've maintained some servers for hobby use / access by my friends in the past, and it was painful for me and them when I no longer had time to dedicate to it. While switching to a hosted provider was an option, paying $40/month in my case wasn't reasonable for personal use.

The Server products will be supported for 3 more years. Once February 2024 comes around - you can continue to use Jira Server and Insight indefinitely. If you're happy with your system, this might still be a good option. There won't be security updates though, so I think my suggestion would be considering running your home automation on an air-gapped network, or trying to VLAN/subnet it so you can still use it locally for your document management without that network segment having internet access. This might be easier than trying to rebuild your setup with different software.

I want to thank you again for this writeup! It's definitely a creative and interesting use of Jira Server, and I hope we can help support you over the next few years even with the end of new Server updates in the future.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events