Friday fun: two truths and a lie: which one is the lie?

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
October 19, 2017

For this week's Friday fun thread, I challenge everyone to post three things about themselves -- two that are true, one that is a lie. 

I'll get us started in the answers section and see if you can guess what I'm lying about. :) 

Subscribe to Friday fun by following this link and clicking "Create alert."

12 answers

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2017

Here are mine:

1. A literary character has been created after me
  2. I went bungee jumping years ago (but only once)
  3. I've never seen any ocean in real life until I was 18 years old. 
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 20, 2017

I say #3!

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
October 20, 2017

I think #2 is the lie

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2017

I vote for #2.  Because you've been many times :-)

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 22, 2017

#1 is the truth. When I was 18 years old, I had a girlfriend. It was the time when I had my coming-out and it was somehow difficult. Years later, she wrote a book about these times and it was released by a big German publisher. Strange feeling to read one's life in a book...

#3 is also true. I grew up in a small village in the German South, far away from every ocean and my parents liked to spend their holidays on mountains.

#2 is the lie, as Monique and Nic guessed. I've never done bungee jumping in my life.

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2018

I conquered my fear of heights bungee jumping - you should try it 😱

1 vote
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 19, 2017

Guess which one is B.S:

1. I studied art in London as a youth.
  2. I got married in a helicopter in Las Vegas.
  3. I used to work at Shell Oil in Martinez, CA
Monique vdB
Community Manager
October 19, 2017

I'm really torn on this. I feel like #3 is too mundane to be a lie and #2 is too weird to be a lie. So I guess I'll go with #1? Tricky!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2017

3 is something that feels like it could be true, but you've altered a detail to turn it into a lie.  Like you did work for an oil company in CA, but it was BP-Amaco, rather than Shell.

(I admit, I used that trick in one of my three)

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2017

Hmm, there is such a thing as a helicopter wedding (btw, do they throw the bridal bouquet out of the helicopter to see, who's next? :-) ), but did you do that? Weird, but true, I think.

I've got a feeling that you are interested more in in art, than in oil, don't know why, so I vote for #3.   

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 20, 2017

I think #1 is the lie!

Monique vdB
Community Manager
October 20, 2017

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- I feel that way about #1. What if she studied art in Prague? What if she studied nuclear physics in London? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2017

As an ex-oil person, I also was biased by the same thought Thomas had.  Art is far more interesting...

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 20, 2017

I have never worked at an oil company but I lived in Martinez, CA. 

Love,

Ann

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 19, 2017

A people based one for me

1.  I went to university with one of Atlassian's Leadership Team

2. I used to make tea for Sandi Shaw

3. I got a lift from Richard Hammond (Top Gear) while I was working for the BBC

Tyler T
Atlassian Team
October 19, 2017

Hoping #3 is not a lie

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
October 19, 2017

I am guessing you never made tea for Sandie Shaw because you didn't mention any details.

If #1 is true, I am dying to know who?

Monique vdB
Community Manager
October 19, 2017

I am guessing #1 is the lie

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2017

Oh, excellent, three responses, all three doubting a different one :-)

Is there a rule for when we admit which one is a lie?

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2017

I also think, #1 is false. 

The others are so British... they can't be wrong :-)

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 20, 2017

I like @Thomas Schlegel's logic. I say #1 is the lie, too.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
October 20, 2017

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- there's no rule, although I'm going to wait until the end of the day for mine!

pb
Atlassian Team
October 20, 2017

I'm going with #1.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 22, 2017

Ok, so...

1.  I went to university with one of Atlassian's Leadership Team

I wrote the question while sitting in a bar on Bold Street, which is, as Helen Russel can attest to, a road every alumni of Liverpool University is familiar with.

2. I used to make tea for Sandi Shaw

Sandie Shaw worked with my mum when she was training to become a psychotherapist.  She often visited mum at home, so I made tea.

3. I got a lift from Richard Hammond (Top Gear) while I was working for the BBC

I signed him through security when his card didn't work.  It was my colleague who got the lift.

1 vote
Monique vdB
Community Manager
October 19, 2017

1. I was once an extra on the U.S. version of The Office.

2. I've been cage-diving with great white sharks.

3. I was valedictorian of my high school class. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 19, 2017

I don't think you've been in The Office

Like Fadoua likes this
Tyler T
Atlassian Team
October 19, 2017

Sharks?

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2017

I am guessing, you've never been cage-diving with sharks.

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 20, 2017

My vote is for "The Office." 😉

Monique vdB
Community Manager
October 20, 2017

I can't reveal the real answer until @pb guesses. :) 

Stephanie Grice
Community Manager
October 20, 2017

Hmmmm #3

Bridget
Community Manager
October 20, 2017

@Philippe Beaudette (.me) we're dying here!!

pb
Atlassian Team
October 20, 2017

#3.  :) . --- WAIT!  CHANGING MY VOTE -  #1!  (You've been on set, but not an extra, AFAIK)

(oh, and I added mine.)

Monique vdB
Community Manager
October 20, 2017

@pb and @Stephanie Grice I can't believe you doubted my valedictorian status even for a moment. That one is true.

And here I am heading into the shark cage:

Screen Shot 2017-10-20 at 5.15.02 PM.png

#1 is indeed the lie, but here I am at Pam Beesly's desk:

Screen Shot 2017-10-20 at 5.15.12 PM.png

Like # people like this
pb
Atlassian Team
October 20, 2017

Hah, I got it right in the end!

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 23, 2017

AMAZING.

0 votes
Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 29, 2021

Thanks @Monique vdB , I think I have played this earlier. Here are my entries for this game.

1. I am allergic to some seafoods.

2. I love reading Sci-Fi books and watching Sci-Fi Series and Movies.

3. I think I am germophobic.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 4, 2018

I missed this the first time around thanks to @Thomas Schlegel advent calendar I found my way here...

1. I am an only child
  2. I have survived three vehicle crashes
  3. I am an accomplished cook
Monique vdB
Community Manager
December 10, 2018

@Jack Brickey I think #2 is the lie. (Since you are now an undead skeleton, you clearly only survived two of them.) 

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 10, 2018

well I love the logic but that one is true enough (two cars, one motorcycle)

0 votes
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 3, 2018

One for the 2018 Advent calendar...

Two truths and a lie...

1. I've been a line chef in a Chinese restaurant
  2. I only have 8 fingers, having sacrificed the last two on my left hand to my table saw. 
  3. I went ice-kayaking in Lake Erie in January

Think you know?

Monique vdB
Community Manager
December 3, 2018

I'm going to guess 1 is the lie because it was really an all-night diner. 

(Also my grandfather was a carpenter and was missing about a finger and a half himself.) 

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 3, 2018

Well, you told us already in another thread that you‘re building wooden kayaks, so I think #3 is right. On that thread, you posted a photo of a left hand holding a wooden pencil - if this is your hand, #2 is wrong, the hand is complete.

So I think, 2 is the lie.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
December 3, 2018

We have a detective over here!

Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 2.36.48 PM.png

Like Thomas Schlegel likes this
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 4, 2018

@Thomas Schlegel you did your homework!

@Monique vdB I really did cook in a Chinese restaurant for a couple of years in my 20's. I left because the boss kept trying to get me to marry her "cousin" so she could get her green card and it became rather uncomfortable.

Oh...And I almost had a really bad accident this weekend when a board pinched the blade and jerked on my saw, so it would have been true even with previous photographic evidence. I let go in time, so I saved my fingers but ruined the work piece...a fair trade.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 4, 2018

@Scott Theus - In preparation to the Advent Calender, I looked at every single friday fun thread - maybe you'll find your kayak behind another door this month ;-)

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
November 8, 2017

Monique said late is fine, so here I go! Which one is the lie?:

1. I built my own robot during my years in University.
2. I first moved abroad when I turned 22.
3. I suffer from Aichmophobia (fear of needles or pointed objects).

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2018

Late comment is also fine I guess!

I'd go with #2, even if #3 seems pretty "liable" as well haha

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
January 31, 2018

Hi @miikhy! Number 1 and 2 are true! The lie is the number 3, I'm not afraid of needles or pointed objects :) I learned a new word that day!!

What are your two truths and one lie? 

0 votes
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 26, 2017

Late to the game, but here we go:

1. I won a beautiful baby contest when I was six months old.

2. I had perfect attendance in high school.

3. In 2001, I met Justin Timberlake and JC Chasez from *NSYNC.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
October 26, 2017

Late is fine, these threads are evergreen! (Hmm, maybe I should consider not naming them after a specific day of the week...)

Guessing the lie is #2. 

pb
Atlassian Team
October 26, 2017

The lie is totally #3.  Of course she'd have perfect attendance.  And beautiful baby?  I mean, c'mon.   (i'm not dumb... i'm not debating that one.)

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2017

@pb wins. 😄

0 votes
pb
Atlassian Team
October 20, 2017

I'll play.

#1.  (Sticking with @Stephanie Grice's stephen king theme....) My grandmother lives down the road from Stephen King's home in Maine.

#2.  I am an absolute adrenaline junkie - sky diving, roller coasters, swimming with sharks, you name it, I'm there.

#3.  I play the pipe organ.  yeah, like this.  Yeah, for FUN.  

Monique vdB
Community Manager
October 20, 2017

I will be shocked if #2 is true!

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 21, 2017

I also think #2

if not, you should enter the shark cage together with Monique or come to South Germany where you can find Europe's biggest theme park with great roller coasters. I'll take a ride with you 😀

pb
Atlassian Team
October 21, 2017

you're both wrong.  

I do indeed play the organ... and it put me through college. 

And.... I freakin' love roller coasters. Zip lines.  Shark swimming.  Bungee jumping.  Meetings with @Monique vdB. Anything that gets adrenaline going.  

(and my grandmother doesn't live near Stephen King... but my ex's does!)

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 23, 2017

Actually lol'd at the comment about meetings with Monique.

0 votes
Stephanie Grice
Community Manager
October 20, 2017

1. My mom's cousin is Stephen King's executive assistant

2. My mom's cousin is Dan Brown's executive assistant

3. My first "real" job after college was selling lumber

pb
Atlassian Team
October 20, 2017

#3 seems just real enough to be... real.

It's clearly either 1 or 2, because they're both 'writer/celeb' related.... unless your mom's cousin is a slacker who moves from writer/celeb to writer/celeb.  

I'm going with #2.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 21, 2017

But maybe she's working for the publisher that is publishing books of both, King and Brown. 

I vote for #3.

Stephanie Grice
Community Manager
October 24, 2017

@Thomas Schlegel I was hoping someone would fall for that!! Mwahaha!

The lie is #2... no Dan Brown contacts that I know of!

0 votes
Bridget
Community Manager
October 20, 2017

Hi, y'all! I'm brand-new to the Atlassian team (Day #5 woop woop!). So hopefully, my truths are still shrouded in at least a little bit of mystery. Here goes:

1. I've authored three, 200+ paged Harry Potter FanFiction novels

2. My grandparents are professional Bridge players which is why my parents named me Bridget

3. I don't have a spleen

Monique vdB
Community Manager
October 20, 2017

omg #2 is hilarious and I hope it's true. But I'm going to guess it's the lie. 

Monique vdB
Community Manager
October 20, 2017

Wait no, I'm guessing the lie is #1. NEW GUESS.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2017

I think, it is #2, just a feeling

btw, welcome @Bridget and a big hello from Germany 😀

Bridget
Community Manager
October 20, 2017

Thanks, Thomas! I've heard so many good things about you already, A big hallo from San Francisco :) 

#1 is the lie! (Although it's more of a fib...I wrote a TON of FF but never any novels!) @Monique vdB I'll bring ya a prize on Monday.

Like Jodi LeBlanc likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
October 20, 2017

@Bridget I thought it was a lie because you spelled it "FanFiction" and all the other fic writers I know don't use capitalization. I thought that was the tell! 

Stephanie Grice
Community Manager
October 20, 2017

^^ Classic Valedictorian 

pb
Atlassian Team
October 20, 2017

Good point, Grice.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
October 24, 2017

@Bridget don't forget my prize. I hope it's more information about what kind of fic you wrote. :) 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events