Issues with colleagues when working at home

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 3, 2020

I'm still not sure how I feel about working from home, it has drawbacks and benefits.

My major drawback is going from dual large screens to just a laptop screen is tough.  I love that my commute is shorter though!

The thing I absolutely love though is getting to spend all day with our incredibly cute pug, Peggy.  Yes she barks a lot, and her snoring interrupts my meetings - but she's just too cute to stay mad at!

Peg1.JPG

I apologise that this photo is sideways - I just cannot get it to turn the correct way!

11 comments

Comment

Helen Griffiths _Capgemini_ September 4, 2020

Seems all drawbacks are overruled by the lovely Peggy 😍

I've been working from home for the last six months, and I had the same struggles in the beginning. Although, quickly overcome by plugging my spare TV into my laptop with a HDMI cable - works wonders! We could order monitors through our Stores, but they're not as wide as my TV which works great!

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 4, 2020

@Liam Green - good luck Liam! Your office mate is pretty awesome. 🐶

I'm considering getting another screen to pair with my notebook - found a 24" monitor (new) for $90 - just need to clear space at home.

Like Liam Green likes this
Lauren Allen September 15, 2020

I've been working from home since March and have been very fortunate in that work allowed me to take a monitor, laptop stand, keyboard and mouse home with me so I have pretty much the same set-up as I had in the office.  

I'm also saving 5hrs a day in commute time and have a lovely garden view from my study.

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2020

@Lauren Allen 5 hours?!  Wow.  My commute is only 1.5 hours and I feel lucky.

Are you doing something productive with the extra time?

Lauren Allen September 16, 2020

I guess that depends on your definition of productive. :)  I get to sleep longer in bed rather than on the train which is nice.  The amount of shows I watch is about the same but now they're on the big screen rather than an iPhone which is also great and I've picked up the knitting needles again to get the creativity flowing.

I have been able to get more active and actually meet some locals in the community though, whereas before I was only really home to sleep.  After 5yrs, it's nice to be a member of the community rather than just a random person who happens to live in the area. :)

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 16, 2020

I think that all sounds quite productive!  I often think I'll do something after work, then I end up snuggling with Peggy on the sofa and we both fall asleep.

I feel like the only good thing to have come out of all this is that more people seem active in their communities - I know we're certainly engaging more with our neighbours and seeing what we can do to help locally.

oranges13 September 24, 2020

Definitely ask if you can go in and grab your monitor and stuff. We all took ours home when we started WFH in March. I purchased two new monitors when it became clear this was going to be semi permanent, but I'm still using the monitor stand from work!

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2020

@oranges13 we're currently doing a mix of home and office.  I'll certainly be grabbing a screen next time I'm in though

Mihai Schwarz
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 20, 2020

Cute! Now I am thinking about getting a pet :D

Khalid Tariq October 24, 2020

@Liam Green  Did you check with your IT if you can bring the dual monitors from work home? We are set to work from home until March 2021 and we allow staff to take monitors along with keyboard, and headset for use at home. 

Like # people like this
Flavien Gache
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 3, 2020

Since Friday we are in lockdown again in France and I have to work remotely. I did not have a job during the first lockdown in France so that's new to me. But I now have to support my annoying coworker.

I tell you she is quite harsh to work with. è_é

IMG_20191121_082943.jpg

Always begging for cuddles and snuggles. That's a nightmare.

(I lied I am in love with that fur ball).

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 3, 2020

She is so cute!

Like Flavien Gache likes this
Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 6, 2020

I think I love almost everyone about working from home. I use just 1 monitor on my personal pc, but I keep my work laptop nearby in case I need to log into our VPN for something.  Since we use cloud JIRA apps, there isn't really much of a difference between my personal PC and work one.

No pets here, but my coffee is cheaper than Starbucks, and I can cook things all day. Plus, no traffic.

Sudarshan
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 7, 2020

That is really nice @Liam Green , the pug is awesome.!

Nathan Keogh December 16, 2020

Go the other extreme now that none of your Co-Workers can see how big your monitor treat yourself to a 37 Inch or Bigger Screen. I have the opposite problem going to work now seems the backward step.

Google the DELL 38 Inch Ultrawide best investment I have made in years.

Monitors outlast PC's by 5 years plus being conservative.

Alain Sips December 22, 2020

I'm really jealous here. I think that one of the main advantages is that you are always able to be with your pet these days.

It made me consider on maybe, finally, getting a dog. However, unfortunatly this will work for me now, but once we need to get back to the office, it will be harder again....

In that case: will  be looking at the images of other pets :)

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events