Friday Fun: Cupcakes for all!

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2020

image.png

Disclaimer - I am not offering cupcakes for all!

Good morning Community!  Welcome to Friday!

I've been involved in Friday Fun for a while now - trying to comment regularly and it's great learning all of these strange and unusual facts about fellow Community members.  

When I was asked to do my own post, I thought about what I wanted to know about everyone...and I immediately thought of cake!!

I love cake!  Almost any kind...apart from coconut.  I'd love to be skilled enough to bake, but I'll settle for just eating instead.

My all time favourite cake though is coffee and walnut cake. 

image.png

It has everything I'm looking for - it's sweet, but not too sweet, it has a delicious crunch, it has coffee, and it has a soft frosting.  Runner up cakes include carrot, black forest gateau and the humble Victoria sponge.

So my question to you all is: what's your favourite cake, and why?  Bonus points for pictures, especially if they're homemade

28 comments

Comment

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2020

Caaaake!

This pretty much sums up on how I feel about cake..

image.png

I don't think I really have a favorite cake, as long as it's not too dry I'm happy with it.

Not a big coconut fan either.. oh and those sugar pastes that they use to decorate cakes should just be banned.

I do like to bake/cook so here are few of my latest creations.

image.png 

image.png

A lovely applie pie and a cheesecake "flan".

Altho I like cake, my physique thanks me when I don't over-induldge in it so i've been exploring other ways of making cakes. Besides using artificial sweetener I discovered a neat little trick of use white beans, yes .. beans..  to create a nice dough.

You might not think it works but it actually tastes great and it avoids all the sugar and butter :) The apple pie -one actually is made with beans!

If I really need to choose a favorite.. I'd say simple but moist apple pie/cake would take the lead.

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2020

I'd forgotten about apple cake!  I love a good apple cake!

Your bakes look very impressive too...all we're missing is some whipped cream!

Like # people like this
Stephanie Grice
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
November 13, 2020

Oooh, I LOVE FLAN!!!

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2020

I LOVE FLAN too.  Not as hard to buid as most people think, and always gets a lot of love from the audience (eaters)

Like Liam Green likes this
Veronique DUFOUR November 14, 2020

Sometimes food taste so good that I'd like to do like the person with his face in the cake :)

Dharma Ramos
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 17, 2020

I make an awesome cheese flan, and recently learned how to make it in individual mason jars using a sous vide circulator, yum.

Cheese Flan.jpg

Like # people like this
Veronique DUFOUR November 13, 2020

My favorite is Beet and Carrot cake because it isn't too sweet, it is spongy, it doesn't taste carrot and there is a little something from the beet. You can add nuts if you like and also the same frosting that is used for carrot cake. Miam!!

gcb.png

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2020

This sounds amazing!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2020

But the cake is a lie!  Right?

(You know someone was going to say it, might as well be me)

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2020

I wish it wasn't a lie!

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2020

Get Half-Life: Alyx? It's tempting to funnel the money I'm saving by not going on trips into a home VR setup. 😉

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2020

the cake is definitely a lie....

cake lie.jpg

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2020

I'm savory over sweet, so my favorite cakes are probably meat loaf cupcakes topped with mashed potato "icing" 😜

But if I had to go for an actual cake, it's a tie between carrot cake or ice cream cake! Hmm, is ice cream cake cake?

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2020

A meatloaf cupcake sounds amazing!

And of course ice cream cake is cake!!

Like # people like this

A good recipe for a diabetic person :)

Like # people like this
ABR March 18, 2021

I so like the idea of a meatloaf cupcake with mashed potato frosting!

Sven Cipido November 13, 2020

I love Mojito cake

mojito cake.jpg
But also Cranachan, A Lovely Scottish Dessert

IMG_2864.jpg
And of course Christmas pudding
christmas.jpg

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2020

I've never manged to get on board with Christmas pudding, or Christmas cake.

I love mojitos though, so I think cake would work.

Like # people like this
Sven Cipido November 13, 2020

As I'm in love with the country Scotland, Christmas pudding is a tradition there :-D, but indeed you need to love it.

As for the Mojito I really enjoy it, especially in the summer :-D

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2020

It's quite traditional all over the UK - I'm just not a big fan of the fruit.  I do like Scotland though...a little cold and wet, but Edinburgh was beautiful when I visited

Like Sven Cipido likes this
Sven Cipido November 14, 2020

Edinburgh is indeed beautiful, but also the rest of Scotland.
Last year I got engaged in Edinburgh :-)

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2020

Congratulations - I was in Edinburgh last year for a stag do (bachelor party for our American readers), and I agree all of Scotland is beautiful

Like # people like this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2020

The last time (and the first time!) I was in Scotland was back in the 90's. Hopefully I'll get back one day; it was indeed beautiful.

If anyone does Instagram, my sister just shared the Hidden Scotland account with me. Lots of amazing, atmospheric landscape photos, and no annoying humans 😂.

Like # people like this
ABR March 18, 2021

I love Mojitos, so I need to learn to bake the Mojito cake! :)

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2020

I am not a big cake person, though I love sweets. The cake needs to be moist or at least not dry. Cookies are my go to, and more chewy than crisp is the preference. Again with the dry thing. 

I like that while in Bolivia they used two different words for dry (an no icing) and moist (with icing - and often had fruit on top). They used queque for the first and torta for the second. If you heard the word, you knew which one you were getting. Although the tortas there were usually VERY moist. 

Queque

queque.jpg

Torta

torta.jpg

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2020

I fully agree with both the chewy cookies, and the moist cake...torta is certainly the way to go

Like John Funk likes this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2020

I agree cake is not my thing.  I do like freshly baked cookies or brownies.

Dharma Ramos
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 17, 2020

In Costa Rica they also call it queque. When we visited from PR the tour guide warned us to call it queque instead of bizcocho, which is what we call it in PR, because bizcocho is a vulgar term in Costa Rica. 

Like ABR likes this
Flavien Gache
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2020

I am often making Banana breads these days. That's quite simple but i love it.

When I have a little more time, I love baking carrot cakes.

I used to bake jam rolled cake but not too much anymore.

Like # people like this
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2020

Oh I like banana bread! (but a healthy one)

2 banana's, 120g almond flour, 3 eggs, baking powder, cinnamon, pinch of salt (tablespoon of coconut fat if you want) and that's it!

You can add some chocolate and/or raisins to taste.

40min later (oven at 180 C) you have a great banana bread!

image.png

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2020

A rolled jam cake sounds delicious...and that banana bread looks yummy too.

We went to a wedding in Ireland, the hotel's speciality was banana bread - they served it at every meal!

Like Flavien Gache likes this
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2020

I love everything which contains whipped cream and unfortunately new sweet-shop was opened this year in our neighbourhoods. Last week we've enjoyed these Pavlova cakes. Yummyyy.

pavlova.jpg

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2020

They look delicious!  I'd never leave the shop if it was in my neighbourhood!

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2020

Real whipped cream, chocolate (both chopped mixed into the cream and melted over the whole cake), strawberries and meringue - this is my favorite. We call it tower cake :)

cake.jpg

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2020

Just incredible!  I love strawberries and chocolate too!

Like # people like this
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2020

Wow!

Others might call that a heart attack waiting to happen 😂

Like # people like this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2020

Wow. I want to dive into that. Is there "cake" cake under there, or is the meringue the cake?

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2020

@Esther Strom no cake there. Just whipped cream and meringue... I am not a huge whipped cream fan but this "cake" is AWESOME!

Like Esther Strom likes this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2020

@Dirk Ronsmans  life is short, like me. We better live it well :)

Like Dirk Ronsmans likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
November 13, 2020

My best friend is an amazing baker and he baked me a cake last weekend.  Carrot cake, NO NUTS, with a brown butter and lemon cream cheese frosting. Absolutely divine.

I also love vanilla cake with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. 

cake.jpgcake2.jpg

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2020

That looks delicious!!

Like # people like this
ABR March 18, 2021

Just awesome!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2020

While i do love cake i'm not a huge icing fan. My sis-n-law loves icing. So i get her cake and she gets my icing. :-) I actually would grab the pie before the cake.

Devils food, Pound cake toasted lightly w/ a dab of butter

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2020

I'm not a huge fan of the fondant icing, but I don't mind the cream cheese style you get on a carrot cake. I've never toasted cake before, but I'm not certain what pound cake is either so it might work well

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2020

Same here - the occasional top-quality Italian or French buttercream is acceptable, but generally I prefer my cake without icing. When our family is able to be together, my uncle and I have the same ingredient-splitting arrangement you and your SIL do 😅

I've also done the toasted pound cake, although I do jelly on mine. @Liam Green pound cake is a very dense, butter-heavy cake usually made in a loaf or bundt pan. It generally doesn't have icing, per se, although some people do a light glaze, or serve with whipped cream and fruit. Apocryphal tales say it got its name because the original recipe was a pound of butter, pound of flour, pound of eggs, and pound of sugar. I haven't tried baking it myself, but from what I've seen a lot of modern recipes use sour cream or cream cheese.

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2020

@Esther Strom Well pound cake sounds delicious! 

There are a few American / British words that have different meanings (pants being one of them) ... but jelly has to be my favourite!

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2020

@Liam Green yes, I definitely meant the American definition of jelly! 

I was lucky enough to visit Ireland last summer, and a friend from Dublin gave me an informal translation table of Irish English to American English. There was one particular phrase that I would have used a lot as a traveler, and while completely innocuous in American English, is apparently rather filthy in Irish English. 😂

Monique vdB
Community Manager
November 13, 2020

@Liam Green jelly:

jellyorjello.gif

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2020

Yes!!!!

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2020

Cake is awesome!  I eat more of it than I probably should.

As for a favourite, I'm going to jump on the carrot cake band wagon.  Now for the part where everyone hates me.  I enjoy carrot cake that has both walnuts and raisins in it.

carrotcake.jpg

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
November 13, 2020

@Jimmy Seddon raisins.... and... walnuts?!?!

betrayed.gif

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2020

I also like both raisins and chocolate chips in cookies!  Why choose when I can have it all!

p.s. the Birdcage is a fantastic movie!

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2020

I really gotta make a carrot cake now.. so many fans it just has to be awesome. (Never had one)

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2020

Choc chip and nuts would be my cookie preference ... I can see how raisins would work in carrot cake though.

@Dirk Ronsmans - you really should make one!

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2020

Yum... cupcakes. 

So I'm not actually a huge cake fan. My mom was a pro-level baker and I think I got tired of cake as a kid. I do enjoy an occasional cupcake from my local bakery, which uses real Italian buttercream icing.

As to cake-cakes, my two favorites and pretty simple, and both are citrus-based.

The clementine cake from Smitten Kitchen is divine, plus gluten-free if that's your thing.

And Nigella Lawson's madeira cake is amazing. I've made the lemon-poppyseed variant, and have also made it with oranges in place of lemons.

(Also, I love coconut, but not in cakes. My absolute favorite once a year dessert is the amazing coconut cream pie at a local restaurant. It's about 6 inches tall, and has tons of actual coconut in it; it's not just a glob of pudding with coconut flavoring.)

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2020

Yes to nearly all of this (no coconut!)

Everything Nigella does is so decadent, so I imagine it is delicious.

Like # people like this
nina_schmidt
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2020

Thanks for the Nigella Madeira cake link sounds and looks delicious ☺️

Like # people like this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2020

It is amazingly good. And really easy to make. It's more like what we'd consider a quick bread in the U.S. (like banana bread) rather than a true "cake", so I don't feel guilty having a slice for breakfast. My favorite variation is using oranges, and throwing in some candied orange rind for a bit of texture. So good. Now I really want some; maybe I'll make one while I'm "on vacation" this week.

Like # people like this
nina_schmidt
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2020

My name is Nina and I am a cake Addict! 🙈 
I love cakes... yes, I have to admit that. ☺️
Couldn‘t decide which one is my favourite, perhaps blueberry crumble, a classic strawberry cake (without whipped cream) or anything with chocolate. ☺️ 

The good thing is: a small village backery that is making everything by themselves is just in the middle of my running route, so I could (and often do) have fresh bread, bread rolls and cakes. ☺️

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2020

Welcome to Cake Addicts Anonymous @nina_schmidt - you're among friends here!

This thread has reminded me of so many cakes...I love crumble!

I don't like the idea of running, but if there is a bakery on route I could be tempted

Like # people like this
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2020

A cake is not complete without some kind of chocolateeeee topping, am I right? :-)

cake.jpg

I love it when there are some strawberries or cherries in it (visible or not, ha!) ... or on top.
Well, I need to stop here and get some cake now...

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2020

I feel the same!! And love cherries in a cake!

Sven Cipido November 14, 2020

And strawberries

Another disclaimer should be added: Beware reading this post or your craving for food will increase !!!

Like # people like this
nina_schmidt
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2020

Oh... I forgot Korvapuusti / Kanelbullar 🥰 Finnish / Swedish cinnamon buns 

that‘s really a „drug“ 😊

B468536A-C022-4F53-B228-2585ECA9D868.jpeg

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2020

I love and I mean LOVE cinnamon buns!!

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2020

YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

Like # people like this
Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2020

Go for cinnamon buns 😍

Like # people like this
Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2020

Again a little bit too late - but cake (next to pizza) definitely is life too 🍕🍰

My all-time favourite is 'Frankfurter Kranz' (which can only be made by my grandma) badly translated as wreath of frankfurt

It's a revelation of biscuit and buttercream with marmelade and roasted almonds on the outside ❤❤

frankfurter_kranz

And don't forget those not real super sweet cherries on top 

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 16, 2020

That looks delicious...there are so many things only a grandma can make!

Like # people like this
nina_schmidt
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2020

After many abstinent years I actually had a piece yesterday 😆

Like # people like this
Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2020

you're kidding right?!? 😥 Haven't seen my granny since last christmas - no granny no yummy

Like # people like this
nina_schmidt
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2020

Sorry, didn‘t want to hurt you! 🥲

We fetched some cake from that village bakery and they had Frankfurter Kranz 🙈

Dharma Ramos
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 17, 2020

My favorite cake is "bizcocho de novia" from Puerto Rico, it is a dense cake soaked with simple syrup, rum or brandy and a buttercream icing. But where I am right now, I settle for raspberry elegance, or just about any cake from Publix supermarket, anyone that lives or has lived in FL knows what I'm talking about.

Bizcocho de Novia

bizcocho de novia.jpg

Raspberry Elegance

Raspberry Elegance.jpg

Like # people like this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2020

My parents lived in FL the last 15 years of their lives; I can confirm Publix bakery quality!

Like # people like this
Veronique DUFOUR November 17, 2020

Anyone has a chocolate fudge pudding recipe but instead of chocolate it is nutmeg (cake + sauce)?b.jpg

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2020

Overall, I am definitely a donut and cinnamon roll person. If those are around, I can't keep from eating them. 

Like # people like this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 19, 2020

There is a distinct lack of cupcake pictures in this cupcake thread!

Growing up, cupcakes were small cakes with simple icing usually for children.

Simple Vanilla Cupcakes Recipe - Food.com

In recent years they have become monstrosities of icing and fillings.

7 Filled Cupcake Recipes : Food Network | Easy Baking Tips and Recipes:  Cookies, Breads & Pastries : Food Network | Food Network

I do love the idea of 'cupcake pull apart cakes' where you get the convenience of pre-portioned cake with the presentation of a decorate cake.

20+ Pretty Picture of Cupcake Cakes For Birthdays | Cupcake birthday cake,  Flower cupcake cake, Cupcake cakes

Like # people like this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 20, 2020

These days I have tried making many types of cakes and this is the one I like the most:

cake.jpeg

Made this a couple of days back!

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 20, 2020

This looks deliciously chocolatey!

Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 24, 2020

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_mini_105be.jpeg

My wedding cake!  It was raspberry lemon, so delicious!

Like # people like this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 1, 2020

Ooh, so pretty. And raspberry lemon cake sounds amazing. 

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 3, 2020

That looks beautiful

Veronique DUFOUR November 24, 2020

Anyone has tried this? Layers of graham cookies and date puree. With icing for those who can't live without it!

Eat it right away if you're unable to wait otherwise let the puree smooth the cookies.

You can do 1x1 for individual portions or 4x4 for a family with any number of layers.

c.png

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events