Why are my sprints resetting when I leave the backlog screen of the board I'm working in?

stephenjbrasel January 22, 2020

I'm new to Jira and following the LinkedIn Learning course "Learning Jira Software."
The problem occurs during the course in section 5 (Agile Planning: User Projects, Roadmaps, and Boards), video 4 (Scrum Boards), 

Robert Anthony creates a new Scrum board from a search filter (that searches for everything). Then he creates a new Sprint from the button at the top left of the Backlog. He drags and drops a couple of tasks, and switches to the Active Sprints section. He notes that there's nothing there because he needs to click the "Start Sprint" button. He goes back to the backlog, re-adds the tasks, clicks "Start Sprint", and accepts the default settings. 

He can see the tasks that he assigned to the sprint. I cannot. When I go back to the Backlog screen, the sprint does not have any tasks in it.
Youtube video of the problem here: https://youtu.be/m3DIwkh0XzM

I have

• recreated the Search Filter and subsequently recreated the board,
  • recreated the Sprint multiple times,
  • tried adding tasks to multiple sprints dragged in different task types
    • (Epic, Story, Bug, Task...),
    • tasks from Kanban and Scrum boards,
  • created tasks from the Active Sprints page,
  • refreshed the page,
  • worked on a different computer,
  • restarted my computer,

and every single time I leave the Backlog page of the board my sprints reset regardless of whether they are active or not. Every time I drag a task into the sprint, a notification pops up that says "Selection Successfully moved."

Is this supposed to happen? Why does it happen? How am I supposed to use Sprints?

1 answer

1 vote
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2020

Hello @stephenjbrasel

Welcome to Atlassian Community! Thank you a lot for your video and detailed explanation of the problem.

Checking the video you provided, I noticed that you have issues from multiple projects displaying on your board. Could you please confirm if any of those projects are Next-gen?

If it is, I believe you must be facing the following bug:

Next-gen issue is not shown in Sprint section in Classic board 

If it is the case, check if the workaround below works for you:

• Go to Kanban next-gen project configuration
    • https://<URL>.atlassian.net/projects/<project key>/settings/features
  • Enable both Backlog and Sprint
  • Disable them again

Also, feel free to vote and watch the bug to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

Additional to that, check the following:

1 - Under Board settings > Columns, check if all the statuses are correctly mapped to the correct column

2 - If the issues in your backlog are linked to an Epic of a next-gen project, you might be facing the following bug:

Issues from a Next-Gen project which are part of an Epic do not appear in a classic backlog when included in the filter for a classic board 

Let us know if you have any questions.

Suggest an answer