Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to restrict to ability to view one particular project in Jira

Tim Galvin March 13, 2023

Need to create a project that has confidential information in it.  I want to restrict access to the project and viewing the project files to a limited specific group.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tim

3 answers

Suggest an answer

6 votes
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2023

Hi @Tim Galvin welcome to the Atlassian Community!

For company-managed projects:

You can create a new permission scheme and restrict the Browse Projects permission to a group that should have access.

If you further want to restrict to issue level, then add issue level security.

Johnny FromCanada March 13, 2023

IMO:  Also create a project-level Role for this specific purpose, e.g., "Project Viewers (Read-Only)", and assign to it the permission group (rather than individual named users).  BTW, I would set up such indirection in general (not just this specific scenario).

Like Mike Clarke likes this
1 vote
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2023

In the Project Settings, you can go to the People tab, and control what user Groups have access to the project.  You could make a User Group (under User Management) that only has the users that you want to access the project, then only allow that User Group access to the project.

Tom G March 14, 2023

I had created a group to restrict access to the project, but it seems that a user can use the search method and see issues listed there even though it will not open the issue.  Is there a way to restrict the search to only issues in their assigned project/group?

Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2023

I have it locked down on the 'People' table of the Project Settings and others can't search that Project.  They only see the projects they have access to.

Tom G March 16, 2023

I may not be familiar enough with the settings.  I looked in the Jira Permissions in Browse users and groups.  I am not really seeing a way to restrict the setting there.  When i view users under that i see the groups.

I think everyone inherits the access of jira-software-users.  Does a user have to have this permission to access the project? Or does this permission just allow them browse across the site?

Could you maybe describe how you locked down the site?

Screenshot 2023-03-16 114607.png

Just to make sure we are referring the same concept.  I am logged in as one of the members for a project who should not be able to see other projects and issues.  As you can see when they start typing i see issues from any project in our cloud site.  as well as references to those projects.  If the user selects an issue outside their project it does not open.  But, i would like to prevent them from seeing these outside issues.

Screenshot 2023-03-16 115036.png

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2023

@Tim Galvin -

Welcome to the community.  I assume that when you referring to access to "project files" restriction, you are referring to issue access.

If so, then I agreed with what @Dave Mathijs suggested by controlling the project access via "Browse project" permission.  This is the simplest way, as users would need to have access to the project first before he/she can access the project issues/content.  Plus, using issue security configuration setup to control issue security (visiblity/discovery).

However, if you are referring to issue's attachments restriction, then it is not possible out of the box.  As long as a user can access the issue, then he/she will be able to access issue's attachment.

You will need to take a look at Atlassian Marketplace for third party add-ons that provide the attachment access control.  NOTE - not all add-ons support both Server (data center)/Cloud envs.

Hope this also helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Technology Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events