Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do's and Dont's for Sprint Reports

Klaus Eisler May 30, 2022

I have a question about "How to correct start a sprint"

I have troubles with the expressiveness of reports and too many tasks with an asterisk mark.
Atlassian University and YouTube didn't satisfy me - so I was wondering if you can help me?

Thank you in advance!

2 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2022

@Klaus Eisler -

Welcome to the community.  In the Sprint Report, when you have too many issues with an asterisk mark, it is because that your scrum master and team are adding new issues to the activate sprint (after it is started).  This practice needs to be controlled and monitored very carefully.  Ideally, once the sprint is started, then no new tasks are added to the sprint unless they are absolutely needed and must be included in the active sprint.

As it will be difficult to generate a true picture of your team's velocity sprint after sprint.  Those newly added issues are not planned for the sprint.  This type of action also pointing out that your sprint planning activities need to be changed, so your team can properly plans out their sprints.

Once your sprints are completed, your team needs to conduct the proper retro to find out why those new tasks were added after the sprint was started.

Here is a link that you can take a look on sprint planning (you may already access it in the past) - https://www.atlassian.com/agile/scrum/sprint-planning

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2022

There are two reasons for adding issues into a sprint, and you should be amending your processes to reduce or eliminate it.

In an ideal sprint, nothing gets added or removed while the sprint is active. 

In real life stuff is going to happen that means something does get added (never remove, just mark it done if it's cancelled, or let it roll into the next sprint or go back into the backlog if it does still need attention), but this should always be an exceptional event, not a regular occurence.

The other reason things get added is when the team finishes all the sprint items before the end of the sprint.  They go look for the next piece of work.  There's nothing wrong with this, but if it happens a lot, then it tells you your people are either over-estimating stories, or the team should be taking in more issues into their sprint to fill their capacity.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

We can try.  What exactly is the problem with "expressiveness of reports" and what do you mean by "tasks with an asterisk mark"?

Klaus Eisler May 31, 2022

maybe we can discuss this via PM - I guess it's easier with screenshots added...
thx in advance

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events