Tabs are now on the left hand side of Jira Cloud's issue view

Matthew Canham
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 16, 2021

Jira admins set up tabs in their screen configurations to organise fields into logical groupings that enable their teams to quickly find what they are looking for. In the new issue view tabs used to be displayed in "glances" on the right hand side.

We are excited to announce that we have moved tabs back to the left hand side of Jira Cloud's new issue view. By moving tabs to the left admins are able to make better use of the space available on the issue view and create layouts that work for every member of their team.

tabs-screenshot2.png

You can find out more information about how to create and modify tabs in our documentation. As you get a chance to use tabs on the left hand side please leave us feedback in the comments below.

9 comments

Comment

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2021

WOOHOO! Thanks for making this improvement! I know there are those who have gotten a little used to the tabs on the right side, so they will not be so happy. 

Wondering if there is any way or consideration to be given to providing functionality that will let Administrators choose where the tabs will show up - on the right side or in the middle?

Like # people like this
Judd Volino February 16, 2021

I think it's a little late in the process to change this after we've been adapting to the right hand "folder" layout in the new view for many months now.

If you're going to insist on tabs again, then you need to find a way to not truncate the names so badly when we have a lot of field groups:

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 5.29.23 PM.png

Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2021

9 TABS with long names..................

Matthew Canham
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 16, 2021

Hi @Judd Volino and @Arthur Mack,

We are aware of this issue that is impacting a very small number of instances with complex configurations and are working on a fix. In the meantime, if you would like to switch back to tabs on the right hand side of the issue view please contact support and they will be happy to switch you back.

Kind regards,

Matt

Like Walter Buggenhout likes this
Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2021

Thanks, so glad they are back where they belong.

Like Matthew Canham likes this
Mark Thompson February 16, 2021

Lovely - I just spent two weeks making my views work without tabs on every project.  I'm happy for everyone else but not informing the community this was coming - not good.  I'm really getting a bad taste in my mouth.

Matthew Canham
Atlassian Team
February 16, 2021

Hi @Mark Thompson, I'm very sorry that our communications around this didn't reach you. You can find this and other features that we are planning on launching soon in our announcement that we are transitioning all users to the new issue view.

Like Walter Buggenhout likes this
Mark Thompson February 17, 2021

@Matthew Canham I still see all my fields in the right hand side.  I basically added them to one screen.  Should I see this behavior now?  Maybe it doesn't impact me due to the way I made changes.  Is this rolled out already or coming? 

Matthew Canham
Atlassian Team
February 17, 2021

Hi @Mark Thompson, in order to see tabs on the new issue view you specifically have to add them in your screen configuration. You can find more in our documentation.

We've now rolled this out to every instance. If your configuration didn't include tabs before this change then you should see no change in your issue layout.

Mark Thompson February 17, 2021

Thanks for your response.  I made updates to put necessary fields within a single screen.  I was just making sure something wasn't coming that was going to invalidate what I just completed doing.  

Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2021

@Mark Thompson 

To be fair to Atlassian they did post on this and you must have missed it. Its been on their roadmap for awhile

Mark Thompson February 18, 2021

A date?  You'd have to show that to me.  I've read here multiple times about tab structure but never saw any specific date.  Roadmaps can be like wish lists.  They were pretty wishy washy about this feature near the beginning of last year when I asked about it.  I waited as long as I reasonably could to do the workaround.  A good support org tells a user with a support ticket when a blocker is fixed.

Not my first time at the rodeo.  Years of frustration is starting to bleed through.  I've been a Jira admin for a bit of time.  What I see nowadays is pushing out of half baked features.  That is not an optimal practice for this type of critical software.

I've also been specifically told I wouldn't lose the ability to disable a feature and they basically did it for no real reason I could see.  They already had my desired behavior and took it away.  Every organization has to revamp code at some point.  The way they are doing it causes unnecessary stress.  They are using us as their test team. 

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 17, 2021

Outstanding.  Very much appreciated!

Like Matthew Canham likes this
John Wilson February 17, 2021

Thanks Matt and everyone involved. Much appreciated!

Like # people like this
Scott Fannen February 18, 2021

Hi there,

I'm very glad tabs have returned where they work best, in the center where the fields in them have more space. They made little sense in the right sidebar and having to click back just to see the existence of the other tabs was particularly bad design.

However, I'm also an administrator with forms with lots of tabs so I'm looking forward to your fix for this (if nothing else, be inspired by the old view).

Another way to mitigate this problem in the short term would be to enable a resizeable right sidebar - just like the left sidebar - as now, in the absence of tabs, it's bigger than it needs to be (at least for most of my uses) so should have the flexibility of the left sidebar.

Thanks again for moving the tabs back to the center.

Scott

Hanna Pososhenko February 24, 2021

Hi @Matthew Canham 

We are glad that tabs are back, but in JSM projects there are several problems related to tabs and configuration. Here is some of them:

1. It is impossible to customize the issue view for tickets in which the request type field is empty.

We understand that this field should not be empty, but at the moment we cannot force users in an existing project to urgently rewrite the scripts they use to create tickets. We thought about using automation to fill in this field by default. But this is only possible with the Legacy automation, which you are planning to turn off soon. As far as I know, there is no such ability in the new Automation.

2. The fields in the General tab are displayed below the request form.

It is inconvenient for the user to scroll a lot to see important fields. Clicking on the "Hide details" button is inconvenient because as soon as you view other tabs and return to the General tab, you need to click on the "Hide details" button again.

Could you let us know if you are planning any improvements?

Thanks

Like Mark de Bont likes this
Clark Starace March 10, 2021

@Matthew Canham Is there anyway to automatically hide entire tabs when all fields in the tab are left blank? This seemed to be a default feature in the old view and is missing now in the new view.

Having to go through each tab whether there's information in them or not is problematic for my team. 

Scott Fannen March 10, 2021

That would not be wise if you actually wanted to fill in one of those blank fields.

But I can understand the negative value of clicking through lots of tabs and seeing nothing - so maybe have some indication like dimming a currently unused tab (which may present difficulties if there's a field on it with a default value) - kind of like the reverse of what happens in Chrome where the tab making the noise has an indicator as to which one.

Like Mark de Bont likes this
Italo Qualisoni [e-Core]
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 12, 2021

@Matthew Canham ,

After this awesome change, we are having an issue that some times the tabs are not loading. After opening a ticket with Atlassian (JST-643172) it was said there is an open ticket  for this issue.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-76128

Right nor there are no workaround and the only solution is refresh the page a couple of times (5 or more times);

Our customer is new to JIRA and they are getting frustrated to not have their fields in Issue view screen, the need the fields in the missing tabs in order to work.

Can you please review this bug with the team? In my opinion this shouldn't be a Low priority, since viewing the issue details is a core feature.

I'll be happy to connect and show the issue.

Thanks!

Loretta Brunette
Atlassian Team
March 16, 2021

Hi @Italo Qualisoni [e-Core] ,

My name is Loretta and I am a Product Manager in the Jira Cloud team. One of the teams are investigating the bug (JRACLOUD-76128) you pointed out and I will post an update soon.

Loretta Brunette
Atlassian Team
March 18, 2021

Hi again @Italo Qualisoni [e-Core] - I have raised this bug with our development team and we will fix it in one of our upcoming sprints. I will keep you updated on our progress

Loretta Brunette
Atlassian Team
May 13, 2021

Hi @Italo Qualisoni [e-Core] this bug is now fixed!

Like John Funk likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events