Project sample walkthrough

Mohamed Orikat April 25, 2021

I am new to Jira, 

wondering if there is a comprehensive sample project walkthrough where I can step by step build a software development project. 

4 comments

Comment

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2021
Mohamed Orikat April 25, 2021

Thanks Ollie, 

I looked at the link but couldn't find an answer for the question.

I went through some books and the help articles and videos. 

What I am looking for is an end to end project sample or walkthrough from idea to closing of project.

Like John Funk likes this
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2021

Hi @Mohamed Orikat,

Welcome to the Community! You are making an entry with a very interesting, but also very extensive question!

I don't think there is something like "the reference project". In between the lines of your question, I also hear you rightfully go beyond just configuring the tool, but wonder how you can best run a project end to end with tools as your best friend to support your team(s) and process(es).

I'd like to point you towards Atlassian's agile coach microsite. There's a lot of information to walk through, but the good thing is that it touches a lot more information than just how to set up the configuration of the Jira. Also, when you'll start to think about improving your practices and going beyond the daily standup and out-of-the-box metrics, take a look at the team playbook. There's a treasure of information around practices, hands on techniques and assessment tools.

Atlassian also offers vast amounts of documentation on products online. To find that, just type <product> documentation in your favourite internet search tool and you will be guaranteed to find more information than you would expect.

To wrap up, every journey begins with a first step. So dive in, get moving and come back to the Community when you run into problems along the way. There's a crowd of engaged and skilled people out here who are happy to help you on!

Hope this helps! Enjoy the ride!   

Like # people like this
Vicki Wilt April 25, 2021

Hi @Mohamad Orikat!

I will detail some of my journey if it helps?  I will echo what was already said by @Walter Buggenhout before me. 

There are lots n lots of tools to use to manage projects, create projects, follow projects. 

In my beginning, I was a developer and focused on one tool only. JIRA.  This tool tracked all the tasks assigned to me, and how I accomplished those tasks. I didn't think beyond JIRA. 

I don't want to bore you too much, but I became a project manager and then began to branch out, read in the fourm, googled things, I grew in my knowledge. 

I learned how to do Dashboards in JIRA to track/sort  multiple tasks for me and trained others how I did it. Now it is a standard project management tool for us. It may not be for others.  

As pieces grew that way, we branched out to add other things for projects, we added other third party tools: Stories on Board(same as Trello here), and MIRO were added to our Atlassian mix. 

Now I am sitting where you are. Where do I go to link all these pieces of silos together? Where does the Software Development Life Cycle come in to play in my organizing all this 'stuff'?

The answer for me is Confluence and templates. Here is a link for templates there: 

https://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/templates

It will depend on your pieces of the puzzle you want to accomplish.  If you don't retrospect you don't need that template etc.

But in my journey I  started with small, and worked my way out to the larger picture. You can start at the larger picture, and build your path in how ever it works for you. 

Hope this helps. Vicki  

Like # people like this
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 29, 2021

I would say one good approach is to create a free Jira Cloud account and then start creating various types of projects using the templates.

Unfortunately under Software Development, all of the templates (Kanban, Scrum, Bug Tracking) have an "open" workflows (any step can go to any step).

Even if you are not planning to use Jira for IT, you can learn a lot about workflows by setting up project using the IT service management template, as those workflows are very structured.

I did find this great doc about building a workflow:

https://www.atlassian.com/blog/jira-software/building-workflow-awesome

And these guides to best practices and getting started are still quite sound:

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/guides/getting-started/best-practices

But as many here has said, the best way to start is to dive in and start playing, and if you have further questions, come back and ask questions.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events