Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back to basics: Quick search in Jira

It is easy to spot the Quick Search box located at the top tight of your screen. You simply type in what you are searching for and results are displayed. Free-text searching looks for the terms you enter in the Summary, Description, and Comments fields.

quick_search.png

It is not hard to stumble on the first feature that makes this more than a search box with a handy location. Type an issue key, hit the Enter/Return key and you will be taken straight to that issue. 

Did you know if you are working on a project, you only need to type the numerical part, hit the Enter/Return key and you will be taken straight to that issue? I didn't either until I researched this article.

One quick search trick I know from days gone by (which is not even listed in Atlassian's Quick Searching documentation) to search within a project is to enter the project key in uppercase and your other search terms in lower case. This can be helpful when you are wanting search on a term that is used within the text of tickets and is also a project key.

In short;

• Searching for an issue key will take you to that issue
  • Searching for a number will search for an issue key ActiveProjectCode-Number
  • Limit your search to a specific project by including the project key in uppercase in your search terms

butwait.gif

Quick Search also has smart queries. For the full list check out Quick searching - Smart querying but here are a few highlights:

• r:me — finds issues reported by you, r:samuel — finds issues reported by the user whose username is "samuel", and r:none — finds issues with no reporter.
  • Find issues that were due before today simply by searching overdue.
  • my open bugs will find open issues with the bug issue type for the logged in user

x-files-red-and-black-mulder-there-whole-time.gif

Did you know any of these searching features? Are there any other searching tips you can share?

5 comments

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 13, 2019

Excellent article @Kat Warner, I will borrow some of the smart searches for the brown bag lunch presentation I am putting together for advanced searches in Jira at work.

Like Kat Warner likes this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 13, 2019

Thanks @Mikael Sandberg - this is great feedback to get.

Like Mikael Sandberg likes this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 18, 2019

*shock* I just realised by article lost the carefully curated images in the publishing process.

Crisis adverted. Images restored.

Like Mikael Sandberg likes this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2020

Excellent article @Kat Warner for the people who are new to JIRA!

oranges13 June 11, 2020

Thanks for these tips!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events