Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie looking for very basic schema guidance re: JSM Insight / Assets

Sandra Lawrence March 29, 2023

Hi there everyone.  For a few months I've been trying to figure out the basics of Insight/Assets to see if it will work for our business side.  Read a ton of documentation, even took a class/2; submitted questions; even asked my service rep for help.  Nothing of substance. I am at a cross-roads.  I know it can't be this hard, and I know my proof-of-concept is not hard.  Can't seem to get the clarification/answers I need to successfully show my test drive of Insight/Assets.  I would greatly appreciate if anyone has guidance on helping me validate querying the 3-4 object types and sample data I have.  

Thanks!  Sandy

1 comment

Comment

Jennifer Fish
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 29, 2023

Hi @Sandra Lawrence !  Was the info in Atlassian’s IT asset and service configuration management handbook helpful? 

https://www.atlassian.com/whitepapers/it-asset-and-service-configuration-management-in-jira-service-management

@Jennifer Fish i gained a bit more knowledge, but I have not found anything that helps me understand and verify my schema model.  I am only trying to validate what I would consider to be a VERY SIMPLE proof-of-concept; and I (and others) have yet found any resources or examples to help me accomplish this task.

After reading the pdf, I thought I was on to something reading about Inheritance.  But that does not work for me.

My example is:

Organization --> Directorate --> Division --> Office    

I've learned inheritance will not work for the above.

But, if you just create a sub-object for the above, it pulls in the data automatically.

I believe the "non" inheritance is what is needed.  But - now I am trying to write a query that will display all attributes from 4 or more Object types.

For example:

1. For each organization, show me all directorates (and directorate data), all divisions underneath each directorate, and all offices under each division.  This would include showing data/attributes from each object type

I cannot find any guidance, so I am at a cross-roads.  I need help.

Martin Svensson March 29, 2023

Hi Sandra

I have some experience with assets. 

Maby i can be of some assistance, i will look into the possibility to setup a demo environment.

Like Jennifer Fish likes this

Wow - that would be awesome!  I'll standby!!

Like Jennifer Fish likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events