Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Issue with API for creating issues

Hey, 
I was hoping someone could shed some light on an issue I am having please.
I have an alert in Splunk to create a Jira issue, but it does not appear to work. The Jira replay search gives me the json content as the below, but it does not give me any errors.:
{
"fields": {
"project": {
"key": "SOCALERT"
},
"summary": "Splunk Alert - Multiple failed login attempts - The user ****.",
"description": "The alert condition for 'A028 - Multiple failed login attempts' was triggered.",
"issuetype": {
"name": "Azure Alerts"
}
}
}
So, I created a postman call to parse the above content and it does shed some light with the following response.
{
"errorMessages": [],
"errors": {
"summary": "Field 'summary' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown.",
"description": "Field 'description' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown."
}
}
I have confirmed that the create screen does indeed contain these fields, as you would expect they are the basic fields, but I still get the error. I appreciate formatting has been lost here, so attached is a screenshot.
Please, does anyone have any ideas? I am pretty certain I ran something similar a few weeks back and it worked fine.
Screenshot 2021-09-23 at 20.48.04.png

1 answer

1 accepted

Hi John,

The data format for description needs to be in the Atlassian document format if using the rest API in cloud. You can see an example on the following page:

https://blog.developer.atlassian.com/creating-a-jira-cloud-issue-in-a-single-rest-call/

Try using that format in postman. Trying the format you are using in cloud gives the following error on my test

"Operation value must be an Atlassian Document (see the Atlassian Document Format)"

Also are you trying this on a company managed project (classic) or a team managed project (Next-gen) ? and what API endpoint are you using /rest/api/2 or /rest/api/3

3 is in beta and supports the Atlassian document format. 2 would accept the format you have

Thanks, I think it is classic, I tried with the Atlassian document format and I still get the same issue on api/3.

{

"fields": {

"summary": "JL - Test",

"issuetype": {

"id": "10052"

},

"project": {

"key": "SOCALERT"

},

"description": {

"type": "doc",

"version": 1,

"content": [

{

"type": "paragraph",

"content": [

{

"text": "This is the description.",

"type": "text"

}

]

}

]

}

}

}

I have changed from api/3 to api/2 and changed auth from API to basic and now it is working as expected. I guess I had something wrong somewhere.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you