How to hide a project from the Customer Portal?

Brad Leach January 9, 2018

I have a number of legacy and internal service desk projects that I want to hide from our customer portal.

How can I hide a service desk project from the Customer Portal?

14 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 6, 2020

Hello All,

There has been a lot of feedback on this thread and I wanted to provide some additional insight on the functionality to clarify the process of how to only show projects that a customer has access to in the customer portal when they land on the main portal page.

We have the following KB article noting the configuration needed to set this up:

Noting:

Removing "The Service Desk Customer - Portal Access" from the project permission scheme is not advisable. The way to allow users (or customers with restricted portal access) to only see the Service Desk project(s) they are assigned to, is the following:
  1.  Create a Service Desk Project (e.g. ProjectA)
  2.  Create a user (e.g. UserA)
  3.  Give UserA the 'Service Desk Customers' Project Role for ProjectA (or any other Project Role, depending on your needs)
  4.  Go to Project Settings (lower left corner of the project settings page). In Customer Permissions select Customers who are added to the project
  5.  Now select 'Customers' in your project menu, and see that only the users that had a Project Role assigned in step #2 are in the list.

Repeat above steps for each Service Desk project and provide your customers with a single URL to find a list of all the customer portals they can access and the requests they created in each one: https://<instance_name>.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portals  

Regards,
Earl

10 votes
Jag April 15, 2020

No matter what permissions you configure for a Service Desk project, anyone that views the 'top level' of your Portal will always see a listing of all of the Service Desk projects.

Yes, if they click on one that they do not have permissions to 'browse', or whatever the permissions you restrict, then they will not have the ability to work in that project.

There is no functionality provided to 'hide' the Service Desk project from the project listing on the top level Portal site. (Which I think is exactly what Brad is requesting. And I would love to see that functionality as well. Maybe a show/hide checkbox on in the 'project settings'.)

If I find time, I will look into seeing if there's some code that I can throw together to do the dirty work of hiding projects from the Portal. But zero promises. I've book marked this Community Topic and I will revisit if I do come up with a coded solution, to share.

----

NOTE: For anyone that is developing/testing out parts of Service Desk, and you are using a 'test Service Desk project', all of your users can see that 'project name' in your Portal.

You may want to consider developing/testing on a separate instance of JIRA Service Desk.

If you are using the server version of JIRA Service Desk, you could setup another Service Desk instance and apply a "developer license" to it. The 'developer license' is user limited, but gives you all functionality to use for your development/testing purposes.

*To Get the Developers License:*
1. Go to your My Atlassian online account.
2. When your Atlassian purchased software is listed, click to expand the listing for Service Desk.
3. When the Service Desk listing expands, on the right side of the expansion will be a section named "Actions" with an option labelled 'View Developer License'.

This is the license you can use to configure an instance of Service Desk you are dev/testing on.

Ellen Cross April 21, 2020

Thanks!

Jason Selby June 22, 2021

Any update on this?

5 votes
H K
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2018

In the project settings you can change the Customer permissions.

Who can raise requests? --> Customers who are added to the project

Pablo May 6, 2020

Worked for me, thanks :)

Kenneth Jensen June 22, 2021

Same. Super easy - thanks.

4 votes
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2023

As of February 2023, here's instructions for hiding portals from the help center.  Hope it helps.

Hide portals from your help center | Jira Service Management Cloud | Atlassian Support

2 votes
Edoardo April 19, 2019

Hello, I think I have found another way to accomplish this (as of today, on Jira Service Desk Cloud).

My use case:
- portal accessible with login
- customers can create an account
- multiple "public" service desk
- one (for now) "internal" service desk (IT requests)
- low maintenance effort for IT team

As mentioned by H K above you can restrict issue creation to people *added* to the project. This increase the burden for our IT team.

Instead, if you create (and associate) a new permission scheme you can revoke all permissions to "Service Desk Customer - Portal Access", which would effectively prevent the portal user from seeing the project, then you can grant the same set of permissions to another group, which would allow that group to access the project.

This requires handling of the group allowed to access the "internal" project, but then you could, for example, reuse the default Confluence or Jira Software access groups. In any case a "global" group is easier to manage than having the list of customer in the internal project (you could use organization, would still require separate handling on top of any group).

Jira shows an in project warning (in the "internal" project) about it not being correctly configured, but during my testing nothing was broken and I was able to use the portal as expected. This is the message:

Selection_019.png

YMMV, but until now this solution proved effective in my case.

Hope it helps!

PS: this could have been easier if the User Management admin interface would allow managing Service Desk organization
PPS: the error message is persistent :(

1 vote
Vijay Krishna Mane March 1, 2023

Hello !

From now on you can hide the portal cards chosen ones from the global view or specific views.

That is possible with latest JSM cloud.

It has a layout where ordering also can be modified like you may want a specific card to show first and second column n so on. this is achievable now.

Hope this helps

Vijay Mane

1 vote
Tomás Curtelo July 1, 2022

Hello everyone,

I was looking for every solution so I share a summary about it:

If you want to work issues creating internally without showing in portal

I didn't find a solution from JIRA but you can:
- Go to 'customize Portal' and highlight only the project/s that you want to show so customers won't see directly anothers projects. (the have to click in 'show more' to see it)
- Also you have to hide the request of the project you want to hide so the customer will be unable to create issues

Captura de pantalla 2022-07-01 154153.png

If you want to show the project in portal but restrict use to some customers

- Go to Project Settings (lower left corner of the project settings page). In Customer Permissions select Customers who are added to the project

Maybe there are more use cases but I think this ones are which I've been reading through the comments

Hope be useful!

0 votes
Humberto Gomes
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 28, 2023

And about the Data Center version, 

When is a solution?

0 votes
Humberto Gomes
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2023

Hi, this is not solving my problem.

I need:

Project Total opened to anyone to create tickets.

Tickets are created EXCLUSIVELY by email.

Project is not visible in portal.

How to do it?

0 votes
Timo Fitzner March 1, 2023

There is a simple solution now. IDK for how long but it is a hide function. 

Just open your Portal URL -> click on customize -> Edit Homepage layout.

From there you can hide unused Portals. 

0 votes
Austin Songer November 4, 2020

I'm sorry, but the features that this app provides should come by default in JIRA Service Desk. I help move my organization to JIRA, but it's like you have to purchase all these little things to JIRA to get to behave, how you want that that other help desk provides by default.  Some organizations have budgets that don't allow to buy all these apps.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1212161/extension-for-jira-service-desk?hosting=cloud&tab=overview 

0 votes
Dan Cumings May 6, 2020

The solution we are going to do is to create a non service desk project.. Move the tickets over and delete the Service Desk.  I don't see any other way.  Ugh Jira is so messy.  They really over-complicated it

0 votes
Khanh Nguyen April 21, 2020

Maybe you can archive the project. I cannot test because archive function requires DC version. Is there someone with DC can check on this?

0 votes
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2018

You can't hide them, but you can reduce the customers who can access them.  Unless a customer is the customer role, they will not see the Service Desk or know it exists.

Hope that helps

Susan

Kevin Schuler June 25, 2018

In our case this is not true. Altough the customer is not in the service desk customers role (checked in project settings > users and roles AND user management > user > view project roles) he is listed in the in the "customers"-section of this project, and he is able to view this project in the portal.

I don't know if it matters, but we created our additional service desk projects with the option "Create with shared configuration".

And we need public signup because we are a service provider and won't be able to priorly create the accounts, so the setting "Who can raise requests? --> Customers who are added to the project" is not an option for us.

(Jira Service Desk 3.12.2)

Any ideas for this purpose?

Anthony France February 28, 2019

We have some projects that we some of the service desk features for unlicensed customers but do not want to clutter our portal up with projects we don't want the end users submitting directly to these projects but they need to be on the project in order to view the requests that are generated on their behalf.

For example in a CAPA process we have a seperate projects for training, investigation, and end user submission.  The end user submits what they found wrong, management creates plans for correction/prevention, then training requests would be created on behalf of the user for their training.  We want the user to be able to access and view the new training issue when logged into their portal but we do not want to clutter the main portal page or, now that I think about it, to be used as a suggestion when searching.  

Basically the a service desk project but being able to mark it as hidden from portal views would be awesome.  The portal gets cluttered with way to many projects way to quickly, deciding on if I want to clutter up the portal shouldn't be one of the considerations I have to make when deciding if I really NEED that project to have service desk properties.

Like # people like this
Scott Green March 1, 2019

Same request here! I want an email-only project that isn't visible from the customer portal.

Like # people like this
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2019

Hi Scott,

That shoudl be very easy to accomplish.  Just create one request type "Email" and hide it in the request types,

Susan

Scott Green March 1, 2019

That would work if the project (with all requests types hidden) was then hidden from the portal.

Unfortunately, a stub for the project is still visible and displays the following:

Service Desk.png

Like # people like this
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 1, 2019

You know, I thought that about 2 mins after I answered the question. 

So then the only way I know how to do that is to use the app: Extension for Jira Service Desk - Under Visibility they have an option to hide the portal itself.

Hope that helps...Susan

p.s. this app is full of great missing features for service desk.

Like Katarzyna likes this
Jeremy Steuhl May 1, 2019

I have that app...Where can you hide the portal?  I don't see that as an option.  Only Dynamic Forms and Request Detail View.

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2019

Hi Jeremy,

Did you look under "visibility" in the project admin section?

Susan

Jeremy Steuhl May 2, 2019

Hi Susan,

Thanks for the reply.  Do you have a navigation or screenshot you could share?  

All I see available for the Extension for JIRA app is options for "Dynamic Forms" or "Request Detail View".  As you can see in screenshot below:

Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 08.49.01.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 08.51.50.png

Neither of those options has a "Visibility" for the portal.  Maybe I'm not in the right place?

-Jeremy

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2019

Hi Jeremy,

Oh shame, it's not on the cloud version!  Works beautifully on the server version.  Hopefully Deviniti has plans to add that to the cloud version some day.  That will be a real show stopper for us migrating to cloud.

Cheers

Susan

Jeremy Steuhl May 2, 2019

Ok.  Glad it wasn't me missing something obvious.  :)

I will open a request with Deviniti.  They're pretty responsive.  

Thanks for the help.

-Jeremy

Katarzyna
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 7, 2019

@Jeremy Steuhl

This feature is not available on the Cloud version. It is unable to do it by our developers due to technical limitations. Currently, we can't do anything :(

Priyesh Shrivastava January 28, 2020

This is by far the easiest option to limit visibility on helpdesk portal in JSD Cloud. 

image.png

Like # people like this
Anthony France January 28, 2020

@Priyesh Shrivastava No, this misses the point completely.

The point here is that we want people to have access to the project, without it showing up in the portal.  

Your solution removes both the portal view and also access.

Like # people like this
Ellen Cross March 2, 2020

Hello, and thanks in advance.

We are new to Jira Service Desk. We'd like to keep the 'Demo Service Desk Project' for training purposes, but we do not want customers to see it.

We want the Portal to remain visible, but we don't want customers to see this particular project.

Is this most efficiently done via Permissions?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events